About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Teaching during the pandemic of 2020/21



Students, Students Everywhere

Students are here
Students are there
In class or in bed at home
They join from anywhere.

One day at school
The next day online
"Connecting from El Salvador? 
Sure, I guess that's fine!"

Some days they work hard
Other days they only play
Some have structured learning
Some don't connect all day.

Routine and consistency
No longer can exist
I suggest a daily schedule
and give a daily check-off list.

We try to have discussions
With both groups at one time.
We try to use our whiteboards
to add twelve nickels and a dime.

But with muffled conversations
Behind masks and plastic walls
And one who turns their camera off
While another shows off her dolls.

To actually hold all their attention
And really drive the concept in
I admit defeat so often
And have to teach it all again.

Where rigor once held meaning
And practice happened every day
We now barely scratch the surface
As we learn in this new way.

Everything takes longer
Both for the students and for me
A simple daily warm-up
Takes the normal prep times three.

First to prerecord it
Then to assign it virtually
Then to teach in person
And translate as need be.

I harp on kids to finish
And beg for work from kids not there
Teaching in this model
Has become a huge nightmare.

I feel so ineffective
When I see the gaps and holes,
Knowing so many different factors
Lie outside of my control.

I lay awake at night
Wondering what else I can try
This concept seems so ridiculous
Should I laugh or should I cry?

I know that when I'm stretched
There's a purpose up ahead.
One day I will look back
And see just where it led.

Meanwhile I press on
And do the best that I can do.
Praying for daily strength and wisdom
From the One who carries me through.

Students here, students there
All leaning on just one me.
Taking time today to care for my own needs
So I can be the best I can be.





 

1 comment: