About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, February 27, 2021

Psalm 23



 Psalm 23

The Lord is my Shepherd.
 My leader, my protector, my guidance, my source of help, my source of nourishment, the One who takes care of all my needs each day.
I lack nothing.
He takes care of my every need. He is constantly watching out for me, looking ahead, making sure I am not in need of anything at any time. When I keep my eyes on my Shepherd, I don't have to worry about anything because that is His job.
He makes me lie down in green pastures and leads me beside the still waters.
He knows where the grass is greenest so I can lie down to rest. He knows where the waters are still so I can be refreshed and quench my thirst. When I've reached the green pastures, he makes me settle for awhile to lie down and get the rest I so desperately need. He leads me to the still waters, meaning they may not be where I expect them to be. I can't search for my own still waters--that vacation I planned might not provide the refreshment I'm wanting or needing. He will guide me to the still water that truly refreshes. I just have to follow. 
He restores my soul.
He brings it back to its original condition and value, the way He designed it. He wipes away all the impurities that covered up my dignity, value and worth, making me shine with brilliance again, just as He designed me to. 
He leads me down paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
 My life points back to Him. The path He leads me on will draw more people to Him. When my life is all about me and my pleasure and comfort, it holds little to no meaning to those around me. When my life is all about pointing others to Him, my life holds incredible purpose.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
Valleys are only pathways to get from one location to another. We walk through them, but we don't settle there. Sometimes the valley is the only way to get to the main destination, so I have to trust that My Shepherd knows the best way there.  Many times a stream will run through a valley (providing a quiet place to refresh myself). Shadows only appear when there is light in the darkness. The shadow of death means that light exists. 
I will fear no evil
Fear is just the assumption that something bad or unpleasant is approaching.
For You are with me.
My Shepherd just became personal as I address Him rather than talk about Him. He is always with me, before me, beside me, in front of me, behind me, all around me. He leads the way, while watching out behind me at the same time.
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
He holds a rod to fight off and destroy my enemy. He uses His rod to correct me and keep me on the right path. He holds the staff, giving Him authority and power. He's the One in control, and the enemy must bow down to Him. His rod and staff comfort me, giving me the strength, support, and security I need to endure through the valley. 
He prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies
While still in the valley, He prepares a table for me. He invites me to dine with Him, to feast with Him, to spend time with Him, all the while my enemy watches. What he meant to destroy me, God still uses to bless me, to honor me, to give me dignity, to draw me nearer still. He nourishes me and refreshes me as His guest of honor at the table with the King.
He anoints my head with oil.
He heals me. He purifies my head/mind to keep away the pests and distractions that so easily get entangled about me, overwhelming me and preventing me from seeing straight. He sets me apart for a divine purpose.
My cup overflows.
His blessings are endless. He pours so much into my cup that I don't have room to contain it, so it overflows into the lives of those around me. My life overflows with abundant praise to Him and love for others as a reaction to his abundant love for me.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. 
Surely, most definitely. Things of value and eternal purpose, deep loving-kindness will pursue me, chase me every day of my life. 
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 
Forever starts now. I long for heaven, but the Lord is here now. Every time I worship Him, praise Him, gather together with other believers in His name, and spend time in His presence, I am dwelling in the house of the Lord. The whole earth is a sanctuary. Wherever I am, I can find Him. 

He indeed leadeth me. 
And so I follow. 
One minute, one hour, one day at a time. 
As long as I keep my eyes on my Shepherd, 
I know my needs are taken care of 
and my life holds value.

I needed this reminder today as I woke up feeling stressed and defeated once again trying to teach as effectively as I can during this pandemic year. Perhaps you needed it, too.

Thank you, Jennifer Rothschild, for helping me see just how intimate this psalm really is. No better person could have written it besides David, someone who could truly understand the perspective of a shepherd, a sheep, and a king. 





No comments:

Post a Comment