About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Spring Break 2020

Spring Break 2020 

I still can't believe we're on our last spring break together in the same school district. My baby boy is less than 3 months away from his high school graduation. 

Money's been a little tighter this year, so we had to wait until the last minute to see what kind of money we even had to play with, and with everybody's crazy schedules, we never did sit down to make any real plans until spring break had already started. We talked about going somewhere for a night or two, but we couldn't decide on where to go. So we decided to use the money we'd spend on gas, food, and a hotel to just do fun things around town that we don't normally do. 

It's not quite over yet, but 2 out of the 4 of us are already back to work, so I guess I can post our fun-day pics for our completely unplanned spring break. All I can say is that I'm so thankful for two young adult boys who still enjoy hanging out with their parents. 

Friday night, we all went to Braum's for ice cream and played a game of cards together while discussing possible things we might be able to do over the next week. 

Saturday morning, David worked the early shift at Chick Fil-A, so Mike and I decided to join him and went there for our breakfast date. :)  Then we all went to church together on Saturday night, before the boys went out with friends after church and we went out with our Life Group. 



Sunday morning I went to the gym and achieved a personal goal of hitting 100 miles on the bike. As much as gyms have seemed overwhelming, intimidating, and inconvenient to me in the past, I sure am thankful David got us all to join Fit Factory this year. It's funny how making the time to go increases my energy so much that I feel like I have MORE time than I used to, plus it is truly inspiring to see other people there making their health a priority. And the mental benefit has done wonders for me. It reminds me of my high-school cross-country days when a long run through the trails, alone with my thoughts, was the perfect way to end (or start) my day. 
 That afternoon, we all went out for lunch together at Pluckers, then shopping together at the outlet malls, and then found an adorable little coffee bar to enjoy drinks, pastries, and card games together in the fresh, spring air. 


 Monday we all split up and did different things. Mike and I spent the day with my parents, exploring IKEA and getting new ideas to organize , while David worked another day at Chick Fil-A, and Juan served with the youth at church. David met up with them at Dairy Queen later that afternoon. Then that evening, Juan met up with his DBU friends, I went to writer's group for the first time in a very long time, and Mike hung out with a truck buddy. 

Tuesday morning, we all got up early and went to Top Golf to get the best deal. We paid for two hours at the driving range, but the ball machine kept messing up, so they moved us to another bay and gave us an extra hour for free! After that we had lunch together at Chick Fil-A, and then went bowling at Strike and Reel, a new entertainment place just built in Garland. 



















 I was so proud of myself for beating everyone in the first game, even if my score wasn't that great. The truth is, though, that it only went downhill from there for me. Lol. Two hours of bowling is actually quite tiring, and I completely gave up about an hour and a half in. Two days later, and I'm still quite sore!



 We found out that movies were only $5 on Tuesdays, so we stayed for the 5:00 movie and filled ourselves with popcorn for dinner. 

By Wednesday, we were all pretty tired from the previous day's activity, so we slept in. We got up, took care of a few errands, and spontaneously ended up at a chicken restaurant for lunch because it smelled so good when we drove by it. After that, we took our cards in to our favorite local coffee shop, got drinks and pastries, and played Phase 10 for the next two hours. 

Then the boys went to Lowe's, got some materials to work on a backyard project, worked together with Mike on it for a bit, and then David and Juan headed out to go bowling with the youth from church. Mike kept working on the backyard project while I went for a nice walk in the beautiful weather and then just sat on my porch writing in my journal until dark. 

Mike and David went back to working normal hours again today, and Juan and I ditched our plans to go to the Arboretum and decided to stay home and relax (and clean). 

I can't complain. It's been a very pleasurable spring break, despite not having any plans or a lot of money to play around with. I love that we all can enjoy simple things together, like a cup of coffee and a deck of cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment