About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Rockwall Christian Writer's Group Retreat 2020

 I used to thrive on making it to my Christian writer's group every month. Then my season of life gradually changed, and I realized it was one of those pleasures that I needed to give up for awhile, at least until my boys are gone off to college. But the idea of a writing retreat has always appealed to me. So when one of the ladies in our Christian writer's group threw the idea of a retreat out on Facebook, I jumped at the chance and responded immediately with a "Yes!!! Count me in!"

The crazy part was that I only really knew one person going, the one who owned the lakehouse. But I knew that I needed to go. I didn't know just how much I needed that time away, that time with other writers, and that time alone with God and my journal and a few poetic thoughts. Everyone else brought their laptops and typed away at whatever project they currently worked on, but I went back to the basics--a new journal and a new pen. I consider myself a poet before a writer, and poetry is a very therapeutic way for me to process my thoughts and feelings and make connections with what's going on in my life. Sad to say, it had been a very long time since I'd sat down with an open journal and just let the words pour out. 

I'm so incredibly glad I went, and I'm definitely inspired to start writing again, at least a poem here or there, and meeting up with my writer friends more often. 

Here are some pics of that inspirational weekend away in Alba, Texas.
 Walking toward the lake and boathouse in the back. 
 Walking back toward the house in the early evening.
 Sitting on the deck, overlooking the path down toward the boathouse.
 The upperlevel deck, accessible to two of the upstairs bedrooms
 A little reading/writing nook in one of the bedrooms upstairs

 An added "bunk room" off to the side of one of the upstairs bedrooms
 A larger bedroom upstairs
 with an added futon for more guests
 The main living area to congregate downstairs
 The master bathroom downstairs
 The master bedroom downstairs with access to the deck outside (I stayed in this room.)


 This room includes a huge walk-in closet to the side.
 Right outside the master bedroom downstairs
 The new deck they just built the weekend before.



 The backside of the house




 The kitchen
 The adorable little coffee bar

and one of the daily lattes that one of the ladies in our group made us daily. 

 Sunset


 My path to pleasure-
-that led me to an incredible morning beside the lake. 

 Morning on the lake, 
where I let hours go by without even noticing.

 The red chair that faded to the perfect pink, just for me.














 The front of the house, as we were getting ready to leave

New friends 😄

I'll admit, the stress of taking off work early on Friday and then coming back to a week of parent conferences and other big time stealers didn't make the getaway easy, but it was so worth it. Almost like a dream come true, something I've always wanted to do. I look forward to the next one already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment