About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, March 23, 2020

Allow myself to grieve (Part 2)

It's a whole new world we're living in right now for the time being until this coronavirus gets under control. It's like all of our planning, striving, and living came to a screeching halt, and God decided to press the RESET button on all of us. And now here we are, all around the world, rethinking what it really is that we're living for.

I'm a pretty positive person, for the most part, and I'm always on the lookout for a silver lining, for things to be grateful for. I avoid negativity like the plague. I mean, it is what it is. No amount of complaining, whining, griping, stressing, or wallowing in self-pity is going to change it. I'll do my best to do my part and guide my family to do our part, and we'll accept what is and keep doing the next right thing in front of us. We'll trust the light God gives us for the next step ahead.

But then I woke up the other day in a funk, and reality hit me smack in the face, making the tears well up quickly in my eyes. And as positive as I want or try to be, I realized that I need to give myself permission to grieve what may be a very real, huge loss this year.

Graduation. My baby's high school graduation.

First the announcements came in the mail the day they closed schools indefinitely (meaning, we really have no idea how long this might last).

Then a few days later, the tassle came in the mail.

And now I'm hearing of several states around the country closing physical school (not e-learning) for the rest of this school year.

At this point, there's absolutely no way we can foresee or even predict what may end up happening. And that just breaks my heart. And if I'm grieving as a mother, I can only imagine the thoughts and feelings that he's trying so hard to process in the face of a reality that he is really struggling to wrap his mind around. (And believe me, it's been a battle to get him to understand it.) My busy, responsible, hard-working, always-on-the-go, using-every-minute, serving-behind-the-scenes, redneck, truck-loving, college bound, headed-to-Africa kid just.can't.grasp.what.is.happening.all.over.the.world.

My heart hurts for his heart right now. It's a very real possibility that a big graduation ceremony may not happen. And how can I wallow in self-pity when every single 2020 senior is in the same boat? Of course, we'll make the best of the situation and find every little thing we can be thankful for through all of it, but I really do need to allow myself to grieve this one if that happens.




 He and his dad's pride and joy.


This class of kids came into the world in the latter part of 2001, right after 9/11 shook us all. Now here they are weeks before graduation in a world that's shaken up once again. God chose these kids for something special, and he's preparing them for something great.

Here's another poem I wrote out in that boathouse on my writer's retreat with David on my mind.

Count on Me

Oh, my darling child
My precious little boy
You are my daily sunshine
And bring me overwhelming joy.

To think I could have lost you
On the night that you were born
To have missed out on your life
Just the thought makes me mourn.

I savor all our memories
We created over the years
A lump grows in my throat
As your graduation nears

I cherish all your snuggles
As we cuddled up with lots of books
Couches, hammocks, beds, and chairs
Made up our cozy reading nooks.

I hold on to our summertimes
Filled with adventures every day
Riding bikes and taking walks
Exploring whatever came our way.

We swam, we cooked, we traveled
To places near and far
Experiencing the world together
Be it by airplane, train, or car.

I found our time so rewarding
As we drove to school each day
Your maturity displayed so clearly
In our deep discussions on the way.

You opened your heart to adoption
And grueled through the process, too.
Then you grieved right by my side
When everything fell through. 

You questioned God along with us
And grappled with faith through loss
Yet your trials produced a young man
Who looks to God as his boss.

I knew God had your heart
When you began to take the lead
Inviting your friends to church
And serving so many in need.

You accepted an older brother
And sacrificed your rightful place.
You’ve watched our family struggle
And yet still cover us with grace.

God has a mighty plan for you
That I’ve prayed for since your birth
May you follow him in everything
And never discount your worth.

I hate the way this feels
Watching your childhood slip away.
But I’m in awe of the man I see
That God molded along the way.

I love you to the moon and back
To forever and beyond
I am so grateful for your life
And our deep, spiritual bond.

No matter what life brings 
You can always count on me
To pray you through it all
To be who God made you to be. 

2 comments:

  1. What a heartfelt post, sweet friend. I've had these kids on my mind so much. The hurt I know they are all going through. Our Skye was blessed to have graduated last year and I'm so grateful for that. Don't we all remember our own graduation? Our own senior year? That's why we feel so bad for these kids. Yes, let yourself grieve for your sweet son. God knows. When you wrote: God chose these kids for something special, and he's preparing them for something great. That's your strength to draw from. That's your answer as to why. I believe we'll see another Great Generation come from these kids. Stay safe, sweet friend. I love ya like my next breath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging words, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete