About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Finding joy while quarantined

There's good and there's bad, no matter how you look at it.

The bad?

Well, that's obvious. The virus is everywhere. People are getting sick at a rapid rate. People are contracting, spreading, and dying from a new sickness far more quickly than scientists and doctors have time to study it and learn how to fight against it. We can't go out to our favorite places. We can't physically go to church, go out with friends, physically teach from a classroom, travel, or even make plans for any of the sort in the forseeable future. The economy is taking a huge hit out of nowhere. The whole world came to a halt. Both fear and skepticism hold us captive.

And then there's the good, multiplying just as quickly as the bad. The air is clearing. People are resting. Time seems to be slowing down as people are out walking (alone), breathing, taking in the fresh air and enjoying the sounds of nature they haven't had time to enjoy for a long time. Art and creativity are surfacing. Children get to experience learning in a new way, while parents get to see just what kind of "student" their child really is. Lol. And praise God, they get to learn in creative ways WITHOUT a bunch of tests thrown at them before the school year ends. Families are cooking and sitting down to eat meals together and then playing games around the same table. People are talking. Families check up on each other more and are reconnecting. Generosity flows freely (except at the grocery story, especially in the toilet paper aisle). Scripture and evangelism floods our social media channels A renewed hunger for God and eternal purpose seem well up within so many people right now.

God is up to something, and I hope we're listening. I hope that when life ever does return to normal, it's a new normal. I hope we take this time to shift our priorities and rethink what really matters.

A year ago, I found myself in a really, really dark place. It's been a long road of emotional and spiritual recovery, to say the least, but the recovery process has been so good and taught me so much in preparation for this current reality. In working with a coach, I realized just how important it is to find, do, and surround yourself with things that fill your soul and bring you pleasure. Those little nuggets of pleasure can fuel your entire day.

So while we're "stuck" inside, hoping this virus stops spreading like wildfire, make sure you take some time to follow those things that bring joy to your soul and uplift your spirit.

I made myself a list to come back to when I'm feeling down. So the next time I wake up feeling that nagging sense of dread and fear, I can pursue one of these daily pleasures to get me out of that funk and back to spreading as much hope and positivity to those around me as I can. I think I have plenty here to keep me busy, and I may come back to add more if I need to.

What brings joy to my soul

Reading an encouraging word 
Nature
Pink roses
Pink
Pretty nails
Foot rubs
Back rubs
Shoulder massages
Time alone
Quiet music
Birds chirping
Tea/coffee wth a friend
Card games as a family
Words of affirmation
Productivity
Finishing a project
Writing a poem
Writing about life
Teaching Bible study
Keeping a gratitude journal
Long, quiet mornings alone
Quiet, uninterrupted, unrushed time with God
Transcendent moments with God, when I really feel His presence
Routine and structure
Hot bubble baths
Spring
Mentally recharging at the gym (or at least a walk around the block)
Feeling noticed for who I really am
Being/feeling understood
Quality time with my boys
Sticking to a budget
Scoring a great deal
Being with fellow introverts
Time alone to process my thoughts/feelings to figure something out
Sitting on my front porch on a warm, spring night
Vanilla scents
Vanilla flavors
Frothy coffee
A cup of hot tea with warm honey
Mexican food
Blueberries
Strawberry pie
Peppermint ice cream
Cookie/dessert scented candles
Simplicity
Traveling
SILENCE





No comments:

Post a Comment