About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Dallas Baptist University

We spent part of our Christmas break visiting Dallas Baptist University again, once to take care of some financial aid paperwork (when you are adopted after the age of 13, it's a bit more complicated, but more promising). Then we went back again for Juan to have an interview with the admissions counselor regarding a scholarship he applied for. Now we're waiting to see about his acceptance and what kind of financial aid package he is eligible for. I take pictures every time we go now because there are just so many little things about the campus that inspire me.

 This sign right here says it all. What Christian Mom wouldn't want their child to be in a place that teaches this? When I first heard about DBU and Juan's interest in going there (thanks to his now Student Pastor who took him by there after spending a day at Six Flags together), I immediately started praying that God would open a door for my son to attend there.  No definitive answers yet, but I'm still praying!


 Now we've started a new tradition. Whenever we visit, we go to the little Starbucks inside the library.  
Here are some more examples of things you see while walking around the campus.

The Great Commission (on the oppposite side, it has John 3:16)

One of many prayer gardens. This one particulary states, "Called to Pray". One every side, there is a different verse on prayer.

This is a statue of Jesus right at the entrance, mostly visible as you are leaving the campus.


Having attended both Taylor University and Grace College in Indiana, I know the personal value in attending a Christian college. Those four years were incredibly foundational to my own faith as an adult and really shaped who I am. Living 10 minutes down the road from Grace College made it an easy choice, a choice that quite a few of my high school friends also made to attend there. DBU may not be 10 minutes down the road (more like 40 minutes), but it sure would be nice to send my son off to college to give him the experiences he needs while still having him close to home. Especially considering we're still building those bonds as a family.

We're still waiting to hear about his acceptance and what kind of financial aid package he might be eligible for--to see if it is even a financial possibility for him, but so far, God keeps guiding us in this direction and isn't closing any doors. So we just keep praying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment