About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Camping trip to Galveston, Texas

I wanted more than anything to take David to the beach this year once it dawned on me that he'd never had that experience yet in his life. We mentally planned a trip to Florida in late July/early August, but then Mike's job situation made it hard to stick with our plan.

I also really wanted to take advantage of our new camper this summer, so we killed two birds with one stone and headed to Galveston to camp at the beach, literally right next to the water. It turned out to be a huge blessing. I think it's one of my favorite places to camp now. Not much else compares to waking up at the crack of dawn and sitting on the beach all alone with God as the sun rises. Or watching your 13 year old experience the ocean for the first time ever, taking it in through his eyes and his delight. Or walking along the shore with your teenage sons later in the evening as the sun is setting. Or cooking out for dinner in the moonlight and listening to the sound of the crashing waves just a few hundred feet away. Or seeing your boys so amused by playing in the waves all day.

I had to remind myself to just breathe and take it all in, not to take a single minute for granted. We made it a quick trip, just long enough to get away, to appreciate the experience, and, of course, to bring home a nice sun burn.

We kept the month of June pretty full and adventurous for the boys. David's church camp in Austin, Six Flags (several times), Hurricane Harbor, St. Louis with the grandparents, Juan's church camp in Colorado, and then Galveston.  Not sure what else might come up this summer. Other than David's mission trip to Colorado, the calendar is open.


Sunrise on the beach on the first morning
 

 Our site, literally right next to the water
 Late night coffee with Mike
 The boys loving every minute of playing around in the waves
 A ferry ride
 Coffee on the beach
 Another sunrise on the beach
 On the ferry
 Best place to start my day
 The boys contemplating if the waves are big enough to have some fun
 Our view from the camper


 Our site was right where that light pole is
 The sun trying to peek its way through the clouds in the early morning
 Roasting marshmallows while listening to the waves



 Mickey's reaction to the ocean (Minnie wasn't as laid back)
 David's first morning on a beach. He wanted to sit out there alone to take it all in.
 Another ferry like the one we rode
 David :)
 
BLESSED.
 
I don't know that I could have enjoyed this trip so much or have felt so blessed by it if we had actually planned it ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment