About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

While we hung out with cows . . .

We all looked forward to July 14th this year. In fact, it's one of the few dates I had anything written on the calendar at all for the entire month.

COW DAY! (AKA--Chick Fil-A's Cow Appreciation Day).

Here's the deal. You dress up like a cow, you get a free meal. Sounds kinda silly, I know, but when you get the whole family involved and make it a yearly tradition, it's almost like another holiday! We get new people to join us every year, too, so it's a lot of fun.

                                         Our first year                               Juan David's first year
  
THIS YEAR!
   


However, little did we know that while we all ate and hung out with other cows, God appointed that same hour for my grandmother to slip into Heaven.

She lived quite a long life, widowed three different times. I lived too far away to ever have a chance to get to know her well. In fact, I think it's been about ten years since I last saw her. But I prayed for her daily, at least for the last six months, not knowing how little time she had left. I prayed for two things for her every day--joy and purpose. I don't know that I'll ever know how God answered those prayers, but I believe He did in some way.

I wish I could have taken one last trip to see her, but I'm glad my oldest brother recently felt that burden and did have that chance last November. I know it overjoyed her to see him and his children.

I hope my uncle doesn't mind that I stole this off of his Facebook page, but I love this picture. Not only do my dad and my uncle both look great in the picture, but she's wearing my favorite color.

Pink is my happy color for some reason, so it makes me hope that the day they took that picture was a happy day for her, one filled with a sense of joy.

Love you, Grandma. I bet Heaven is amazing.






No comments:

Post a Comment