About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Change of plans

I got so excited when I saw a weekend on the calendar where both boys would be gone just a week after our anniversary. I seized the opportunity to plan a little weekend getaway with Mike.  We made a reservation at a local campsite, and we eagerly counted down the days. Well, first we found out that David's campout only lasted one night instead of two. Mike saved the day (and my disappointment) by asking if he could spend a second night with one of his friends going on the campout.

David played a soccer game till almost ten o'clock on Thursday night and then came home to finish packing for the next day. He went to bed quickly after getting home and told me to wake him up early so he could get all his stuff ready to go. Time would be tight after school before getting him to the church by 5:00. 

I got him up early on Friday morning, only to have him walk out to me saying, "I'm sick, Mommy. I think I have a fever."

He was burning up, so I took his temperature and found he had a fever of almost 101.  He said his throat was killing him. A few hours later, he came home from the doctor diagnosed with strep. Ugh. He missed school, and I had to text his youth pastor to say he'd have to miss the campout. I also texted his friend's mom to cancel out on Saturday night plans, too.

So, rather than cancel our reservation for Saturday night, we took David along with us on our weekend getaway. Not exactly what we'd planned, but we did enjoy spending the weekend with him. Sometimes he really does just need some focused time with Mom and Dad. Love that boy.




 











 
Things turned out in David's favor, too, when they postponed his church campout due to thunderstorms coming through the area Friday night. Looks like he didn't miss out on it, after all.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment