About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, November 24, 2014

Reflecting over a great example

I am sitting at home this morning with a heavy heart, tears in my eyes, Thanksgiving plans overturned, reflecting over one of the greatest blessings in my life. My grandfather.  He currently is living out his last days on this earth, and I am overjoyed that he will soon be in the presence of Jesus. I am, on the other hand, incredibly sad to be losing him.

His passion to live for Christ above all has inspired me since my childhood.  I remember writing a paper in elementary school about how much I admired him.  I still do.

I have not been the greatest at keeping in touch. I am a person of very few words on the telephone, I rarely use Skype, I don't have Facetime on my phone.  I got to see him for his 90th birthday last March, which happened to be the first I'd seen him in about ten years. The first I'd been back to his house in nearly twenty years.  I write on here often, though, and he's gotten every blog entry I've written over the last seven years.  I hope I've made him proud.

My grandfather is a pillar of faith for my family, and he taught me years ago to lay my family down in prayer every single morning before I do anything else. He taught me the importance of prayer through his example, as I, myself, have coveted his prayers each and every morning, especially during difficult seasons of my life. He prayed me through marital struggles, financial struggles, through grieving the loss of Juan David and his sister, through our journey to meet Julian, and through our fight to finally bring Juan David home.  He is leaving a legacy of faith for his family, and I commit to carry it on through his example of daily prayer.

Thank you, Grandpa, for everything you've taught me by your example, even across so many miles. I love you dearly and will miss you more than words can say.


No comments:

Post a Comment