About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Let the birthday season begin

Friday, October 31st, marks the start of a full birthday season in our home for a few weeks. Mike's birthday starts on Halloween, followed by Juan David on November 6th, and David on November 16th. Fun, fun, fun! (Meanwhile I stress to the max about how to budget both time and money from here to Christmas!)

So, yesterday we began our celebrations by spending the day together at Six Flags. We'd planned to all four go together for a day in the summer, but we never made it there. We wanted Juan David to have the experience, so we held it off until late Fall  and planned to go for one of their birthdays. Through a random conversation about our plans to go later in the month, Mike found out we could get a season pass for little more than the cost of a one-day ticket. It's a special that's been going on the last month and ended today. By going before the special ended, we ended up with four season tickets for 2015, combined with unlimited parking and unlimited visits to Hurricane Harbor, as well (for only about $50 more than we would have spent for just one visit).  Plus we get in free for the remainder of 2014. Not a bad deal! I am looking forward to many fun days to come over the next year with my boys.

I used to be the brave, adventurous one when it came to amusement parks. The higher the roller coaster, the better. I unfortunately found that my stomach can't quite handle what it could about ten to twenty years ago. :( I went on all but one ride with the boys and Mike, and I am proud to say I didn't lose any of my lunch--but it's just not as thrilling when your stomach is churning by the end of the ride.

Upset stomach or not, we had a great day together. I enjoy seeing David interact with a brother when we do things as a family, and I enjoy seeing Juan David's attachment to us grow through each experience. A year ago, he struggled with us not letting him go out more with his friends. Now he looks forward to everything we do as a family.

This coming week, the boys will both play in a soccer tournament, so we'll have a small celebration with Juan David on Thursday night for his birthday. Friday night, Mike and I get to go to a Marriage seminar at our church led by Kirk Cameron and his wife. I am really looking forward to a night with just Mike. Those days don't come by very often during soccer season, unfortunately.

After that, we're headed out camping in our beautiful house on wheels on David's birthday the following weekend, with a big cake for all three of them.  My brother and my nephews will join us, per David's request. :) I love being able to celebrate all these birthdays together, but I will likely be pretty exhausted by the last one--thankfully just in time for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment