About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, November 23, 2014

100 Happy Days

I don't know if you remember, but I went through quite a slump this last summer.  I think it started when the camper got smashed and the AC leaked all over our new floor. One negative thing led to another, and before I knew it, I found myself griping and complaining about everything.  My husband quickly grew tired of my negativity, as did the rest of my family.  I grew tired of myself, too.

Then I read a post on Facebook about a friend who challenged herself to a goal of living 100 happy days.  I thought I'd give it a try.  So, in mid-August, I opened up an old journal and started Day 1. Each day's entry began with the words, "Today I am happy because . . . ".

After about a week or so of writing something that made me happy each day, I felt awkward about the word happy, so I changed it to what I felt thankful for. It became my gratitude journal. I couldn't believe what a difference it made in me to start my day out being thankful. One thing each day led to two or three things each day, and now I find myself writing nearly a paragraph each day about what I'm grateful for.

Today I finally reached my 100th day. I have no intentions of stopping, though, and I encourage anyone in a slump to start their own gratitude journal.  I start my day thankful, and then I notice more and more things to be thankful for all day.

What a difference from that negative mindset that captivated me late this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment