About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, November 4, 2023

A few days of celebrating

Halloween looked a bit different this year, with the boys in Texas and me and Mike here for his 47th birthday. Last year I missed his birthday because I was in Texas with David, so Matt and Chrissy did a good job celebrating him and his mom and other brother, Mark, came to visit that next weekend. 

Mike is a die-hard Cowboy's fan, but he's also been an Indianapolis Colts fan his entire life. So Juan got him two tickets to a Colts game for Father's Day/his birthday. Then David, Juan, and I all pitched in together to get him a Colts jersey to wear to the game. His brother, Matt, went to the game with him, and they had a great time! 

So Mike and I went out for breakfast/brunch on Saturday morning at a cute little diner he heard about. Then he went to the game on Sunday with Matt. We all went to Matt's house and had pizza, cake, and ice cream with Matt, Chrissy, and their boys on Monday after work. I made him a white cake with chocolate chips and butterscotch chips mixed in.

He also requested a banana bread cake (banana bread with vanilla icing on it) for his birthday, so I saved that one for just us since it was kind-of an experiment. We both ended up loving it, especially when microwaved for a few seconds before eating it. I asked if he wanted to go out for dinner on his birthday or invite some friends for dinner, and he said he just wanted to stay home and chill--so that's what we did. :) I made some chili in the crockpot to come home to on a cold day. We doubted we'd get trick-or-treaters out where we live, but we got some of our favorite candy just in case. We guessed right--that no trick-or-treaters came out our way, so now we're happily munching on that candy. :)

I have a childhood friend who didn't make it to their 47th birthday this year, reminding me that every birthday we get to celebrate with the people we love is a gift. All of our lives are books filled with chapters for every year we're given--but none of us knows how many chapters our book will have. What matters is that we use each chapter to love and be loved by God and those He puts in our lives. 

Next up is Juan David's 26th birthday in just two more days!

















No comments:

Post a Comment