About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

The hardest goodbyes begin

My emotions are a bit all over the place now as the hardest goodbyes begin. It still does not feel real, and as much as I try to tell myself that these are the last times I will do things or see people, I can't really feel much of anything.  Only when I write can I even begin to process how I feel.

Tonight I will attend my friend's husbands viewing, and tomorrow morning we'll go to his funeral. Depending on whether the moving truck is packed and how the funeral goes, we may be heading out of town right after that. David went to a young adult meeting at a church he goes to with his college buddies in Dallas last night (called The Porch), so I reached out to Juan David to see about meeting Mike and me for dinner one last time. Between his weird schedule and ours, we ended up getting dinner and taking it to his apartment around 8:00 last night. He was pretty proud to show us all he'd done in decorating with the few pieces of furniture he has so far and to show us his plans for how he plans to continue setting it up. He spoke so much more maturely, in my opinion, as he is beginning to realize all the new responsibilities he's stepped into. 

I loved seeing the things that mattered the most to him, like the fact that he put up a small picture of him and his brother, Julian, along with two self portraits that he and Julian both did of themselves on separate occasions hanging together on his wall. And that he gave David a spare key, meaning David has an extra place to stay when he comes to town. 

He did a great job on his bedroom and bathroom. I look forward to watching in pictures as he finds the few pieces of furniture he's needing and envisioning. He said the next time I come (maybe Christmas?), the apartment should be full. 







So we took a few pics outside the apartment, hugged a few times, and said goodbye, not knowing if there will be another goodbye before we head out.

Today we start packing the truck. 

Exciting adventures await us (and some VERY excited family), but first we've got to get through the goodbyes on this side. 

The house sale did not go through as hoped, so the house relisted this morning. Not sure why we had to go through that, but I guess it's all part of the experience. But this time we'll either be in the process of moving things out while it shows, or we'll be completely out of the house. Hoping for the same thing as last time--ten offers in two days, and that we'll have the wisdom to choose the right offer. I'm just thankful we have an RV waiting for us to reside in for a few months so we don't have to feel rushed to sell and buy something else. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment