About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, July 14, 2022

No turning back now

 Mike, David, Matt, and Mark all ended up hanging out in the Man Cave (a cool room above the garage) until about 5:30 in the morning, but Peggy (my mother-in-law) and I slept on camping cots in the basement and fell fast asleep as soon as we turned the lights out, probably around 3:30 in the morning. My nephews and Chrissy had all gone to bed much earlier, so we could hear them upstairs by around 7:30 or 8:00 the next morning. By 8:30, we started to get up and around, and before lunch time, we had all headed out with the moving truck to unload the contents of our house, garage, and driveway into an empty barn/garage at Chrissy's mom's house, about 15 minutes away. 


What took Mike and David almost three solid days to load took four Alspaugh men (and women) just a couple hours to unload. We kept it somewhat sorted in the barn so that we can get things as needed, or at least we tried. Haha. 

Chrissy's mom also came out and fed us a really good lunch of hamburgers, chips, salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, and really good iced tea. I felt so blessed, to have this convenient, spacious place to store our things until we find the right home here to meet our needs, but also to be so warmly welcomed and received. 


















We got done unloading, and then Mike looked at me and said, "Well, our stuff's all unloaded now, so there's no turning back!"

We're officially homeless, I guess. We kept just enough clothes and essential things out so we could set up our new home in Peggy's camper that she brought down to Columbus for us to borrow for awhile until we find the right house to buy. She and Stan (my late father-in-law) had just bought this camper together not much more than a year ago, so giddy and excited for a new chapter in life post-retirement. They may have taken a couple of small trips (from Warsaw to Columbus) in it before his health and mind deteriorated too much for him to be able to make use of it. Who knew then that Mike and I would soon call it our temporary home back in Indiana? 


So far we're parked in Matt's driveway, but tomorrow we'll take it out to New Song and set up camp there temporarily. I have enjoyed being here with Chrissy and the boys while Mike and Matt have worked all day, plus David is here for a little while helping us get things settled and squared away. She's made some amazing meals and been so hospitable, making us feel right at home. But I am very excited to get on campus at New Song and begin to make it my home. Even after I get a house, New Song will be my new home away from home.  We took a little trip there yesterday to show Chrissy and the boys, and it just felt like I have always belonged there. 












No comments:

Post a Comment