About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, April 2, 2017

To remember and reflect, to look forward

If you haven't read this blog for long, you may not know that I am very big on dates. Like remembering what happened on this day in the past, or how much time has passed since a certain event, or how much time is left until the next big celebration or adventure. Taking note of a date is so good to remember and cherish those special moments. It's essential for reflection, to remember where we came from and what we've been through. It's also a key reminder of how quickly time passes, begging us to savor each moment we're given.

As someone reminded me this past week, we're not promised tomorrow. Don't take today for granted.

Today I am remembering my beautiful white cat, Snowflake.



We lost him to a sudden sickness this day last year, one that took him from us very quickly. Watching him take his last breath was a moment I will never forget. When he died, I held his brother, Snowball, in my arms, (also suffering from the same sickness and fighting for his own life) and I just sobbed. Snowball hung on and fought for two more weeks before he, too, left us. I loved my cats dearly, and I grieved for them for quite a bit of the year.


 I am smitten by my new kitten, now a year old, but I still miss my white fur-babies very much.




Today I'm also thinking ahead, knowing that only two short months remain until my son's graduation. Two. Short. Months. I still can hardly believe it. This is one school year I do NOT want the next two months to fly by.  God gave me four years to mold him, to love him, to encourage him, to guide him, and to parent him. They've seemed like forever at times, while other moments it still feels like he just got here. It's definitely an entirely different world parenting him as opposed to parenting David. His high school graduation doesn't mean all that molding, loving, encouraging, guiding, and parenting will stop. It will just change.



The other day we were talking about college and the future, and he said, "Well, after I graduate (college) and get my own place, then it will go back to being the way it always was. Just me. But at least now I know I have a family I can always go to when I need help."
That's right, son. You'll never be alone again. No matter what, you'll always have a family behind you now. 

He gets it. Four years doesn't seem like much, but these four years changed everything for that boy. 






As challenging as it's been to raise a child from the age of 15 and on, when I take the time to reflect on how far he's come (how far we've all come), I know I don't want to take a single day for granted. While we keep moving forward, sometimes it's so helpful to keep looking back. Reflection is good for the soul. 








No comments:

Post a Comment