About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Pumped about Guatemala!

Today we had our second team meeting for our Guatemala mission trip. All I can say is that I am really pumped now. It's been a few years since I've gone on a mission trip with the church (like a little over 7 years, to be exact). And this particular one is right up my alley, teaching VBS, visiting local families, and training adults in the church IN SPANISH.

I am also excited to be serving alongside such an amazing group of high school students, all on fire for God. Today we all went around the circle briefly telling our stories of how we came to faith and how God is working in us now. I was so moved by hearing these teenagers give their testimonies to their own peers and to see how completely sold out they are for Jesus. They know they are in the world but not of it. I even got to hear my own son give his testimony on the spot, hearing about his most challenging moments in life and seeing just what life events spoke the most to him about Christ. I found it interesting to hear him talk about how losing his sister almost made him lose his faith in God's love, while getting adopted into a family of his own finally solidified how much God did indeed love him. I also loved knowing that the day after we leave Guatemala, he will see that sweet sister again.

There are two other parents serving on this trip (another mom with her daughter, and a dad with his daughter), plus our youth leader, who has been an incredible influence on Juan during his time here. I have utmost respect for him and his passion to guide our high school students to live for Christ.

Like I said before, this trip wasn't anywhere on our radar, but I sure am excited to be a part of this team. I'm also grateful for the relationships my son will be building with this amazing group of high school students and for the chance to serve alongside of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment