About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Savor each moment

We've had quite the exciting soccer season in our home this spring, with both boys' schools claiming the District Champ title as Co-champs for the 2017 season. Then when they both won their first round in the playoffs, they both had high hopes of their teams advancing far enough to face each other again at an even higher level. And truthfully, both teams carried that potential to make it all the way to the State Championship.

Last night, I went alone to Juan's game, while David and his girlfriend met up with both of their youth pastors to watch the Sachse game in Rockwall (Mike worked late). Here David is proudly wearing his school's District Champ shirt while I am wearing Juan's school's District Champ shirt. :) We were definitely a house divided. :)


I dropped David and Kyleigh off, and headed back to savor one more game of my son's high school soccer career for an 8:00 game. Talk about an intense game. Not one that I enjoyed watching alone! Thankfully David humored me and let me keep texting him updates.  First half, neither team let the other team score. Second half--same. Ten minutes of overtime, still no goals. Ten more minutes, both teams barely missed at least one or two opportunities, but still no goals. They finally went into penalty kicks, and the other team sadly took the victory at 10:20. 

My heart sank as I watched Juan, his teammates, and his coaches shed their tears out on the field. They had such potential to advance far, but no such luck. Their season officially came to an end. For the eleven seniors on the team, they knew a chapter of life just closed. As I walked out of the stands, it hit me. That was the last Naaman Forest High School soccer game that I would ever watch (at least on the Naaman side). I'm glad I didn't miss it. 

Here they are at the start of the game.

Here they are joining as a team to support their five players going out for the penalty kicks.

Here they are after the game, slowly coming together to hear their coach encourage them, saying, "I could not have asked for any more. You guys played a great game."



Juan came home and just sat in his car alone for quite a long time, grieving the loss and processing all that it meant. That team has been his family for the last three years, and those two coaches have been his mentors. This morning I think he even cried a few more tears.

All good things must come to an end at some point, so now we move forward and savor each moment of his last two months of high school. Thankfully we gave him good news to chew on earlier this week when we showed him what we got him for his graduation--tickets to Spain to see his sister. :)

Right now I'm listening to him skype with her in the other room, telling each other about how they celebrate Easter in the country where they each live. Hearing her voice fill my home is truly something to savor.  


No comments:

Post a Comment