About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Smart boy

So proud of this guy. He's been in the country for less than two years, and he's only been speaking English for less than a year. This was his first year in a regular high school (as opposed to the newcomer high school he attended last year), and we warned him it would be much, much harder this year.

I stand corrected.

He survived the year with all A's and B's, achieved the highest rating of English in all areas (Advanced High) on his TELPAS exam (a yearly rating on how a student is doing in listening, speaking, reading, and writing--the teacher rates all areas except for reading), and he passed all three of his STAAR tests--Algebra, Biology, and English 1 (three out of five state tests that he has to pass to graduate).

He played JV football for his school (and decided not to continue it next year), he played JV soccer and was voted Defensive MVP by his teammates, and he got accepted into the soccer athletics class for next school year (which means he might play Varsity next year).

He sure is a great kid and just as smart as he tried to tell me when he first came home. A year ago, I wrote about waiting for the moment that the reality of his adoption would hit me. Now, a certain phrase goes through my head every morning when I drop him off at school, every time I take him to a church event, every time I watch him play soccer . . . it is a privilege. It is such a privilege to be his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment