About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, March 13, 2015

"Food is love."

Well, to someone with a history similar to my adopted son, it's true. Food really is love. However, when I answered him saying, "No, it's not," he changed his mind and said, "Okay. Food is happiness."

I hoped to plan a quick trip to take Juan David to see his brother, Julian, in Colombia over spring break, but . . . it was a bit complicated. First, I'm still recovering from all we spent at Christmas, so we didn't have the money to go this early in the year. Second, we don't have his passport yet, and February flew right by me. Third, we would have had to get a special letter written up and signed at the consulate in Houston in order for me to bring him back home from Colombia without Mike being present. (Colombian law for Colombian citizens). So, we hope to make it work out this summer, if possible.

Plan B for spring break--use those Six Flags season passes and spend a few days riding rollercoasters.  But, it rained. Pretty much all week.

Plan C. Find a few small adventures for the week. Mom and son bonding time. We went to the movies, went out to eat, swam at my brother's house on the only sunny day, and took a little international tour with our meals. We started off at Fiesta, the international grocery store, telling Juan to pick what he wanted to eat for the week. Thus began quite a fun week. It's amazing how much I felt I bonded with him when we put the focus on food. Yes, to him, food spoke love.

Here are a few pics of our cuisine.

 Flan
 Colombian pasta with chicken that Juan made himself

Colombian cheese bread from the Colombian bakery
 Milhojas (one of Juan David's preferred Colombian desserts)
 Argentine mate (compliments of a Guatemalan friend)
 (Oh, the memories from Argentina. Love that culture.)
Little Colombian bananas (that was my daily breakfast smoothie--cucumbers, strawberries, blueberries and a mandarin orange)
 A vegetarian plate at the Colombian restaurant--beans, rice, fried egg, salad, avocado and fried plantains
 Picada from the Colombian restaurant--a little bit of everything with a special pink sauce for dipping
 El Portal--a Colombian restaurant/ bakery
 Traditional American--Cheeseburgers and onion rings
 Mexican bean and corn dip--with onions, tomatoes and cilantro added
 Colombian staples--Colombiana soda and arequipe (a delicious caramel dip that every Colombian keeps in their fridge)
Chinese rice with shrimp and chicken and egg rolls

Two especially bonding moments this week included watching this segment that aired on the news precisely while we ate together at the Colombian restaurant (a segment about helping the "children of the state" who are under government care in Colombia--children who are growing up just like he did.)

http://www.noticiasrcn.com/especialesrcn/los-hijos-del-estado

Then later in the week, we watched videos of his orphanage that people have posted online over the years, while he identified so many of his friends and even his sister. It was a special time for both of us.

We had a great week together, despite all our foiled plans.  Getting to swim in a heated pool with his cousins on our only sunny day helped, too. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment