About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Then and now

I ran the table for the Adoption Ministry at our church ministry fair this weekend, at least for two of the services.  Here was my table a year ago:

 

I had pictures of my soon to be son, knowing that anything could still go wrong at any moment.  I had books that I'd read and was reading, and I even took my Cabbage Patch dolls with their adoption papers, along with my little Orphan Annie doll.  My pastor had put me in charge of the Adoption ministry at my church after endorsing my first book, though I wasn't an adoptive mother yet.  

Here is a picture of my Adoption Ministry table today:


No need for a cabbage patch doll.  I took a real prop this time.  My son. :)

How cool to have people walk by and say, "Is this the young man we prayed for for so long?"  Then, looking into his eyes, "Young man, do you have any idea how much we prayed for you to come home?"

We didn't have a lot of people stop by the booth for information about or with interest in the adoption ministry.  However, I did talk for a bit with two mothers in the process of fostering to adopt, and another adoptive mother, and we all realized together how much we need to connect with one another.  I plan to look into starting some type of support group for the few families we have so we can have that connection with other adoptive or foster families.  They have groups at the main campus, but we've never had anything at our smaller campus as of yet.  I, personally, really appreciated talking with the other mothers today about our common struggles and challenges.   Looking forward to getting something set up for us to keep those conversations going. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment