About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, January 20, 2014

Doing things a bit differently

Two years ago, about this time, only a few weeks remained until my first copy of my first book came out in print.  I loved every aspect of holding that book in my hands, especially the hard copy.  A dream come true. Yet now that I'm fine tuning the sequel to that book, I'm thankful for a chance to do things differently this time.

I was so surprised that the first book came flowing out of me the way it did that I didn't take my time in researching or preparing for it to be published.  I didn't even know that a writer's critique group actually existed in my local vicinity, now I wouldn't even think of trying to publish anything without taking parts of it to be critiqued by the Christian writer's group that I am now a part of (right within the walls of my own church--at the Rockwall campus).  I have learned a wealth of information about good writing, editing, revising, and publishing and book launching from each member of the group.  I guess, more than anything, I've learned just how much I really don't know about writing and how much I still can benefit to learn.  I am anxiously awaiting our monthly meeting just a week away from today.

So, with that being said, I'm taking my time with this book.  All the things that I've looked back on from the first book and thought, "I wish I would have done that differently," have inspired me to really do them differently.  Asking more people to give it a test read, asking for the critical comments to know how to revise parts of the story this time.  Asking for more people to write recommendations to be included in the book.  Going a completely different route with how to get it published.  Putting the manuscript down and not touching it for awhile until I can get feedback from several different people. Finding out how to actually launch the second book--which I didn't even know to do the first time.  They say you learn from experience.  I've definitely learned a ton and am so thankful for all of my new author friends that have helped me on this journey.  Love them dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment