About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, December 6, 2013

You just never know

Well, I'm thankful that the last five years have taught to me just take things a day at a time.  This coming weekend was supposed to be super busy, then it got a little overwhelmingly busy, and now it looks like we'll be home all weekend drinking coffee, hot chocolate, and eating warm, comfort food. :)

The boys' marathon relay was scheduled for Sunday.  Then we found out that Juan David's coaches had the wrong date for the tournament.  His tournament was also scheduled for this weekend, meaning that if his team made it to the semifinals and finals, he would not have been able to play in the last two games because he was already committed to the marathon.  His coaches were not too happy to hear that, but thankfully Juan David understood the commitment he had to his marathon relay team and did not throw any kind of fit over it.  

However, I went out for coffee with a dear friend on Wednesday, and she said, "Rachelle, with this winter storm coming in, it's all going to be canceled.  You'll all be home by the fire drinking hot chocolate and eating grilled cheese all weekend." I had to laugh when I got these two messages yesterday and today...... 
 
METROPCS DALLAS MARATHON CANCELED



Participants and friends of the MetroPCS Dallas Marathon,
Safety of our participants, as well as our volunteers and spectators, is our primary concern on MetroPCS Dallas Marathon race weekend.
We met this morning with officials from the City of Dallas, Dallas Police Department and the Office of Special Events to assess the situation. Due to current weather conditions, and forecasted conditions for Saturday and Sunday, as of today at 12:40 p.m., the decision has been collaboratively made to cancel the 2013 MetroPCS Dallas Marathon.
We regret that the race will not go on as planned, but are confident this decision is in the best interest of our runners, volunteers, spectators and the general public.


TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS

The Tournament has been postponed until February 7 - 9, 2014
 
 
LOL.  So, looks like soccer will just keep going on and on up till the tournament.  I don't mind that because I'd prefer for Juan David to not have to take a break from what he's most passionate about.  We're sad about the marathon being cancelled because they worked so hard in preparing for it.  However, I am grateful for the way God used it to get Juan David connected with our close friends, the Permenter family.  
 
Now I plan to sit back and enjoy the rest of this beautifully cold day off from school with my two boys and Mike.  It's a first for Juan David--experiencing the ice and these cold temperatures.  He couldn't believe how little tolerance his toes have for the cold!  It's a first for David, who had someone to go out and explore with him this morning.  Perfect day for a movie marathon, some more coffee, and something warm.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment