About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Not exactly like I'd planned...

Well, my birthday came to an end last Friday evening just as I started feeling a slight sore throat.  I hoped that a good night's sleep would cure it so we could move on to enjoy a nice Mother's Day weekend.  That good night sleep never came, and I felt pretty crumby by the time morning rolled around on Saturday.  I got up and did a little shopping like I normally do, but I couldn't even make it to the second store.  I felt so miserable and knew I needed a nap.  My "plan" was to just sleep a couple hours, then get up, go to a global prayer meeting at church, and attend church that evening (Mike and David were hanging out with their buddies at a Mud Bog all day and evening).  Well, after a few hours, I knew that I wasn't going to make it out of that bed.  I kept telling myself I at least needed to send an e-mail to someone to let them know I wouldn't make it, but I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow long enough to do that.  I was down for the count.  I stayed in bed all afternoon, all evening, all night (well, until 12:30 when Mike and David came home, and David was screaming in pain from an earache).  I took care of David, got him some medicine, calmed him down enough to fall asleep, and then I was back in bed to finish out my 19 hours in bed.  The next morning, Mike and I got up pretty late, and our "plan" was to go to church for the Sunday service and then go out for Mother's Day lunch.  By eleven o'clock that morning, we realized David wasn't getting out of bed anytime soon, so Mike and I attended Lake Pointe Live via the internet campus at church while we let David continue to sleep and recover. Then we went out to Chili's so I could get some hot salsa for my ever increasing sore throat.  We stayed home and rested for the remainder of the day because there was a FULL week ahead of us on the schedule. (My boys also gave me some beautiful cards, a pair of slippers, and hung a really cool cross out on my back porch for me.) The next morning, I thought I was feeling better and more rested, and I was thankful that I'd taken the entire day off for my "on-call" jury summons.  I took David to school, treated myself to breakfast at Chick Fil-A, spent a little time on my own, and went to my favorite bookstore. I also finally made it to the grocery store.  I called to see if they needed me for jury duty, and I found out that on-call jurors were not needed for the day.  Yeah!  This was good news.  Then my ear reminded me that it had been hurting quite a lot, so by 2:00, I knew I needed to head to the doctor.  After testing me for the flu and strep, we came to the conclusion that I  was suffering from an ear infection.  So, now I've been on antibiotics all week, and my energy level has been much lower than normal.  No fun at all for a week of TWO late night soccer games, ONE late night of David's choir performance, ONE night full of working out more arrangements and details for our time in Colombia, and then a preplanned evening out together lastnight to go to my friend's book signing for her second book.  All good and fun events, but being sick just took a lot of the excitement out of them.  BTW, David never complained of his ear again, but by Thursday, Mike was sick, too, and missed David's last soccer game of the season.  Sometimes, things just don't go like we planned........It's nice to look at the calendar for the next week and see nothing scheduled for a single evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment