About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, November 24, 2022

30 days of Gratitude

Well, I had all intentions of getting a pumpkin and writing something I'm thankful for on it every day this month. I saw it on Facebook and thought it was really cute. But, I missed almost half the month before I got home, and then I never got a pumpkin. So, I'll write all 30 here, even though the month isn't quite over yet. 

This year I am especially thankful for:

  1. All 3 of my boys (David, Juan David, and Julian) and the distinct relationship I have with each of them, even from a distance.
  2. David's positive attitude despite a huge (and humbling) disruption to his life.
  3. A peaceful location to live (though the house isn't the most peaceful place to live in just yet)
  4. The possibilities and potential that lay ahead on our new property
  5. The chance to see a few friends (and family) on my unexpected trip to Dallas to help David after his accident and surgery, especially the friend who I've been missing the most
  6. A chance to spend a few extra days with my mom and dad this last month and a couple quick visits with my brother and his wife (had to be quick because they were both really sick)
  7. Prayers being answered at New Song with new houseparents moving in soon and then several students moving in at the beginning of the New Year
  8. An incredible team to work with at New Song
  9. A teammate who shares my passion for missions and ministry
  10. A beautiful place to work that truly feels like home
  11. Staff meetings that start with prayer
  12. A chance to work in ministry, specifically with the Mom's retreat we just had in October, pampering the moms of old and new students and/or campers at New Song
  13. A chance to see a few old coworkers from Bullock Elementary for a brief few minutes while in Texas, specifically two special ladies that have been through significant loss that I got to hug and let them know personally that I am praying often for them.
  14. People who helped financially toward our airline tickets to not make the trip to Texas and back a burden
  15. A close relationship with my sister-in-law, Chrissy, and our deep conversations we get into about life and spiritual things
  16. A chance to get to be in my little nephews' and my young niece's life
  17. Chrissy's family and the way they have loved on us so much and just consider us family
  18. A chance to spend more time with my mother-in-law and get to know her in a way I never have before
  19. A husband who enjoys what he does and has a more predictable and manageable work schedule
  20. The chance to see Mike and his brother (sometimes brothers) together so often
  21. A pastor (previously a youth pastor) who has always cared so much about my son
  22. A new church with a huge heart for missions and outreach and new friends there that really inspire me
  23. A chance to mentor a young friend and know that God is using experiences in my life to help guide her
  24. LakePointe Church and the way I can stay connected through online services on Saturday nights, different groups that connect digitally on a weekly and monthly basis
  25. The chance to still attend LakePointe with David (when he's in Texas) because he texts me often to say he's there and then I jump online to "attend" with him
  26. My friend Martha (and her husband Warren), who demonstrated true friendship to me and my family in a million ways over the last month, starting with dropping everything on her schedule at a moment's notice to drive to the hospital 40 minutes away to be there for my son in his greatest hours of need when I was a thousand miles away, staying with my other son to wait through David's entire surgery, showing up early at the hospital the next morning to talk with the doctors, and then opening her home to both of us for almost three weeks while we waited for his first follow up appointment before we could make plans to travel home. During those weeks, she opened her home to anyone who wanted to visit us and even let me invite family over to celebrate Juan's birthday with him. They also let me drive Warren's car any time I needed or wanted to go anywhere. I honestly think I could have filled all 30 days and more with all that I'm grateful to them for. I can never repay them for all they did for us (not that they would ever want to be repaid), but I hope I can pay it forward to a friend in need in the future some day. I never even reached out to her personally when the accident happened. She just responded to to a group prayer request that I sent as soon as I found out that David needed surgery. Friends like that are priceless, and I hope that David and I both can learn to be that kind of friend to others.
  27. Friends that intentionally keep in touch or write to me
  28. Progress on my house and the hardworking, talented men who have done the bulk of the work (and the friends who have come over to help with smaller, but tedious jobs on the house, like painting--I can't tell you how thankful I felt to come home to painted walls and trim in my kitchen, living room, and hallway.)
  29. Not having to miss either of my boys' birthdays with them, even though I moved pretty far away
  30. A Black Friday reunion with a close friend who will always be family (can't wait till tomorrow!)
Happy Thanksgiving, from my family to yours


1 comment: