About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Thursday, November 10, 2022

Blessings I never could have seen coming

David breaking both of his arms and getting wheeled straight into surgery definitely wasn't on anyone's radar. We all dove into this new chapter of life courageously, each of us looking forward to the adventure ahead. Mike and I looked forward to the experience of an empty nest and the ability to both do what we love and what energizes us. Juan looked forward to having his own space to decorate in his own way and not living on anyone else's schedule for the first time. David looked forward to increased independence to match his independent spirit. That's not to say we all didn't have to swallow something hard in seeing our family spread out, but these are the things we looked forward to experiencing over the next year or so. 

But not even four months into this new season, and the adventure scene looks quite differently than any of us ever dreamed. Our empty nest is soon to be full again with a very independent young adult son having to depend on us for most of his needs over the next two months. Juan's apartment is coming together very slowly, though I will give him credit for sticking to his desire and making it exactly like he wants it. That takes determination and patience that a lot of guys his age don't have. I admire him for it, actually. And David, well, he's super thankful to have his elbows back now that they gave him smaller casts and he's able to use his fingers a little more now, but he's still not too thrilled about this huge interruption to his junior year, his social life, all his canceled plans, and most certainly his upcoming 21st birthday less than a week away. Instead of experiencing prime independence, he'll spend it a thousand miles away from his friends and housemates, with his parents (and other family that will be thrilled to see him and love on him), and will need help to cut his steak that we'll have to order from his favorite restaurant to take home and eat. 

But, alas, it's time for me to go home and taking him with me is really the only option that makes sense at this point. He can't go back to school this semester, and his needs are too many and too personal to leave him with anyone else. 

So tomorrow evening we will attempt traveling by plane together back to Indianapolis. I ordered his ticket with a note that he'll need special assistance. We'll need to get there pretty early to ask for any assistance they can give and hopefully get to board early, but thankfully the flight is only two hours. At least he has his elbows and can sit a little bit more comfortably than he could the last two weeks. 

While it's been super nice having this unexpected "break" and ability to see family and friends that I didn't think I'd see again for quite a while yet, I'm anxious to get back to my husband, my kitties, Mike's family that I'm growing closer to every day, my new job, my New Song family (and yes, that's really what it feels like at New Song), and my new community that I've been building little by little. As much as I've loved being back in Texas for the last three weeks almost, I know it's not home. I'm a guest here now, as my home and my classroom now belong to someone else. 

I think being here has made me realize that, as much as home hasn't really existed over the last four months because I've had no place to settle in, home is where my husband is. And I know he's been working doubly hard while I've been gone to make our home a cozy place to finally start to settle in. He's only given me a couple sneak peek pictures, so I am super excited to see what all he's done. 

Here are some pics in random order of some fun and memorable adventures we've had here, despite the double broken arms. 




Corn dogs from a place called Two Hands, something David doesn't really have right now. The corn dogs were good, though!

Some good food from Raising Cane's. Been missing it in Indiana!

Watching church online on a big screen!

David's first time getting dressed up to go to church a week after he got out of the hospital.

Attending service at Lake Pointe Firewheel, where we attended and served for 12 years--pretty much for all of David's school years. That pastor up front started as a youth intern when David was in sixth grade, moved up to be the youth pastor, then moved up to be the campus pastor, and he's now someone David considers a very close friend and mentor. Love that guy. 

David determined to find a way to communicate with his friends

Driving by my old house, knowing somebody else owns it now


Celebrating my boys' birthday month with them

A friend brought us coffees, and said, "Merry Christmas!" Lol. Starbucks, it's too early for that, especially if Pumpkin Spice is still on the menu. 

Two new fall shirts (funny how fall weather is just starting to come around here, while winter is pushing in pretty quickly in Indiana already)

There are not words to describe the blessing to be able to spend the day (and two more) with this friend

Visiting our favorite coffee shop, though I'm not sure I like the way it's been repainted and redecorated now that it changed hands in management.

You know you're staying with a good friend when you find your own books tucked away in her library, the room where I'm staying. 




A visit from Uncle Matt and Sam
A visit from a high school buddy from church
With a really sweet gift basket filled with our favorite treats

Getting to celebrate Juan David's 25th birthday





Juan David got to play a virtual reality game at our friends' house

Which let him take a virtual reality visit to Colombia

to the market on Monserrate

to the park where he used to play soccer
to the streets he grew up on
to the different houses in his orphanage







and even to our new house in Columbus, Indiana

David getting the first splints removed for x-rays

Seeing the pins for the first time made him pretty nauseous

Getting the stitches out from the surgery where they put the plates in both of his arms

Getting new casts, BELOW the elbows this time!


All set


Twin teachers with matching shirts!

David's last night out with his buddies

I got to go to my ReEngage group, visit Bullock Elementary to specifically see two very special friends that I've stayed in touch with, watch one of my toughest students from last year literally run as fast as he could down the hallway to give me one of the most endearing hugs I've ever gotten from a student, go out for coffee with my bestie, visit twice with another close friend, have lunch twice with my parents and spend a few other times with my mom, visit with my brother and sister-in-law, go to DBU twice, go to my favorite bookstore, and spend a lot of good, quality time with my son. Everything I've needed has been provided while we've been here. Yes, we'll have a lot of medical bills coming in, but God has made it obvious that He's always ahead of us, preparing a way. It's all been a huge blessing that I never could have asked for. 

But now I'm ready to get back to these two guys, 

Mike and Boots (and Spaz, who didn't get in the picture)



and the rest of the Alspaugh family, who happen to be standing in front of our new church, Terrace Lake Church (that we call Mini LakePointe), where we hope to build relationships as real and as deep as the ones we have here.



No comments:

Post a Comment