About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, October 22, 2022

Mom's Retreat at New Song --A Day of Renewal

Today marks a new beginning of ministry impact at New Song Mission as we partner with Family Hope to bring a day of rest and spiritual renewal for Moms. Many of these moms have already sent their kids to a week of Adventure Camp at New Song over the last few summers, and several of them have their kids on the wait list to live on campus and attend New Song Leadership Academy as soon as God brings us the right houseparents to complete our team here. (Please continue to pray for God to fill those two positions for us and to pray for the couples who are praying about the logistics of being able to answer that call to this unique ministry.)

We've had some sickness hit our small campus this week, but my amazing teammate (Julie) and I have worked together to set everything up, decorate, and prepare what we hope to be a restful day for the moms who are coming from over an hour away to be part of this retreat. Our agenda for the day includes a time of fellowship with hot chocolate and hot cider/wassail, a neat cooking demonstration using a crockpot that will be cooking during the day along with a few nutritional and budgeting tips, a devotional and a prayer walk for the ladies to have some sacred time with God while out on our beautiful campus (we're so thankful for the gorgeous weather today after starting the week with snow!), a quick craft time, some parenting tips and advice, and then dinner together as we partake of the soup that's been simmering in the crockpot during the day. Each mom will go home with some goodies to remind them often of our day together, including a new crockpot and a coloring devotional. We're so excited to offer this retreat and minister to these moms before many of their children come to live on campus and attend school with us. Julie and I love how we are getting a chance to minister to the whole family, not just the child. 

Here are a few pics to show what awaits these moms who will be leaving their homes in just a couple hours to head this way:











We actually made quite a few more changes and enhancements since we took those pictures, including Julie's amazing talent at setting up the hot chocolate/cider bar. (She grew up with four sisters, so she's had a lot of experience decorating for bridal showers, etc.). After not having students on campus the last nine weeks and still experiencing yet another delay, this retreat gave us a new motivation, and we're super excited about it. Please be in prayer for these moms to truly feel renewed spiritually, mentally, and even physically today (that is, until they realize how much walking they'll need to do for the prayer walk all over the campus!)

I truly can't think of a better place for a retreat than on our beautiful, peaceful campus, especially with all of the fall colors surrounding us right now. 



1 comment:

  1. I’ll be in prayer for you and everyone involved in this awesome opportunity. Thanks for the pictures of the place where the ladies will meet together for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete