About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Why yes?

As we started to drive away on Saturday, I finally had a chance to pull out my journal and start writing out my thoughts. Until I have a chance to write, all my thoughts just swirl around in my head like a jumbled mess. (Which is precisely why I avoid talking to people and most definitely don't call anyone). But writing truly does help me make sense of things or at least connect the dots. 

I decided to listen to my son and stop finding every reason NOT to do this and write out all the reasons why I SHOULD. I wrote at the top of the page, WHY YES. 

  • I can work in full-time ministry as a teacher with the ultimate goal of leading children to Christ and teaching them how to live their life for him. (Honestly, I could probably stop right there. I mean, isn't that enough?)
  • I can work for a mission organization built on FAITH.
  • My classroom would overlook a beautiful pond of calm, still water.
  • I could start and end my workdays (during my planning time) looking out over a quiet pond, an environment that feeds my soul. 
  • I can teach Spanish in a fun, creative way, along with other electives I might enjoy or be knowledgeable in. 
  • I can teach science in light of a Creator and right in the middle of 100 acres of nature.
  • We can take field trips to enhance learning. 
  • I can work with a small group rather than a class of 22 students and have one-on-one time to work with each of them. 
  • I can teach creatively again.
  • The focus is on the whole child, not just academics. When we meet the needs of the whole child, academics automatically improves. 
  • We get to do activities together outside of the classroom schedule each week, getting to form a relationship with each child OUTSIDE of school. 
  • There is a daily read-aloud time. I love doing read alouds, and I can read Christian series books that I used to read with David. 
  • Students start the day with servant leadership/chapel.
  • We're all one team working together to disciple and mold each child into a leader for the future. 
  • I can use my knowledge, training, and experience working with kids from hard places. 
  • Mike would be so much happier and more fulfilled.
  • Mike would be closer to his mom and not feel so guilty about his brother having to carry most of that burden to help her.
  • I have a really good, close relationship with Chrissy that has deepened spiritually over the last few months.
  • Mike can help Matt take his business to a new level and keep him from having to turn away so much work. 
  • Hearing comments like: "New Song needs you, Rachelle." "If you come to New Song, we'll be jumping up and down." "You would be such an answer to prayer." "I love your missional heart."
  • I'd be joining God where He is already at work, calling people with just the right gifts to use at just the right time. 
  • I'd have a chance to multiply my experience with and impact on Juan David and Julian by working with children from hard places.
  • Though I completely shocked people when I brought up this possibility to them, they responded with overwhelming support and prayer.
  • My own son told me, "The writing is on the wall, Mom. You just have to read it."
  • I want to be around people just like Bob and Lisa, passionately and sacrificially following their calling.
  • It's a chance to care for the widows and the orphans, the single moms and the fatherless.
  • I'm NOT tapping into my ministry potential right now.
  • It's a chance to think "maximum impact" with my time each day.
  • Teaching board/card games is just one way they teach social skills there, and Mike and I have always been big at playing games as a couple and a family. 
  • I'd be closer to my mother-in-law and have a chance to build a real relationship with her.
  • I'd be closer to my sweet niece who I bonded with over a school project two years ago, who also just accepted Christ over the last year. 
  • Mike could be part of his nephews' lives.
  • The timing is right, with both my boys now adults.
  • I get to be at the forefront of helping a ministry rise to the next level by narrowing their mission/vision and helping guide them move toward accreditation. 
  • The whole year is not spent thinking about and prepping for a test. 
  • I've come to realize that I can sacrifice everything, including my time, my health, my family, and my sanity in public school right now, and it still will not be considered enough. I will always fall short because of their new evaluation system. 
  • Now I have a chance to teach with eternal purpose, to make an eternal impact.
I'm sure there are even more reasons, but that's the gist of what went through my mind that day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment