About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, November 23, 2020

Resting. Recharing. Refilling. Reflecting.

Not gonna lie. I'm wiped out. 

Between a month of family birthdays, a time change (that gets me every time), and working under the absolutely unrealistic  demands of teaching in late 2020, I am exhausted. So here I am, my first official morning of Thanksgiving break, focusing on recovery. Taking it slow and easy for the day. Embracing the quiet solitude and silence as my boys sleep the morning away. Listening to  quiet little kitten paws running across the floor. Sipping on a second cup of coffee that I can actually drink while it's still hot and while I don't have a mask on. 

I heard on the radio not too long ago about what it really means to rest. Many times we think resting is sleeping, watching movies, lounging around doing mindless activities that require little to no physical or mental effort. But in reality, resting means giving your mind and body a chance to recharge and refuel. As tired and depleted as I am, I hope to spend this restful holiday finding things that will fill me. I am realizing more and more that I cannot give from an empty cup.

I hope to write some poetry about things that have captured my heart lately but I have not had time to write them down or process them. I hope to catch up on a few late blog entries to document life over the last month. I have plans to make a virtual craft and do virtual tea with my mom to keep up with our Black Friday tradition, and I think I'll be doing most of my Christmas shopping online. And I hope to catch up with a friend or two over a socially distanced coffee date. Add to that a family Thanksgiving at home for the first time ever, I believe, due to our caution to not catch or spread COVID among outside family members. I'm still thinking about how to creatively make it a meaningful, cherished holiday in a virtual, socially distanced way. Everything looks and feels different this year, but that doesn't mean it can't still be special. 

Here are some pics of our last few weekends filled with birthdays. Starting on Halloween to celebrate Mike, then the following weekend to celebrate Juan's 23rd birthday, and then a week later to celebrate David's 19th birthday. We've never been real big about parties and celebrations, as we've always kept our birthdays pretty low key with some kind of family outting and dinner for just the four of us. The few times we've attempted a bigger celebration, I don't know that any of us really felt comfortable. It's just not our personality. So I was really touched by David's initiative to ask off work in order to come home for all three weekends. Those intimate family outtings really mean something to him. I sure have enjoyed seeing him a bit more. I have a feeling next semester might not bring him home as much, so I will soak up the time with him now. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment