About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Unexpected beginnings

2020 started much differently than other years.

We usually bring in a new year by playing card games, eating 12 grapes (a Colombian tradition), drinking a sparkling drink of some kind, and watching the ball drop on TV.

This year Juan drove to DBU to celebrate with friends, and David went to Atlanta to attend the Passion 2020 Conference.


It was David's first opportunity to attend Passion, as it's for 18-25 year olds, and he just turned 18. Juan hasn't ever gone, so we knew little about it.

As soon as it started on Tuesday evening, David sent me a text saying that we could watch the sessions live online and even on certain TV stations. 

So Mike and I pulled it up online while we played cards, and we sat and watched almost the entire first session of the conference from the comfort of our home. Then we sat and listened as 65, 000 young adults brought in the new year and new decade while singing praises to God, while worshipping with song. We even sang along here. It was beautiful, and I am so thankful that David had the opportunity (and desire) to be there. I can't think of a better, more memorable and truly meaningful way for him to bring in the year 2020.



 While this went on outside...
 this continued on inside, without skipping a beat. 


 Powerful.
 Day 2, while Mike was at work, Juan and I sat playing cards and watching more of the Passion sessions together. 




I ended up spending the following two days watching as much of the conference as I could along with him. And each session made me more thankful that he had the chance to be there. You know God worked deeply in his heart when he came home with a new book by John Piper and said, "Mom, you can read this book after I'm done with it." (This is the child that's super smart, but won't crack open a book unless absolutely necessary.)


Expecting God to show up big in 2020. 




No comments:

Post a Comment