About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, January 6, 2020

Just walking the trails

So, I could say that I've had an adventurous winter break. Over the last 9 days, I've walked trails in Los Angeles, California, through five little towns in Italy, in New Zealand, Canada, British Columbia, and even Argentina! I've walked through woods, through rocky trails, on the tops of mountains, and right along the beach. 

Okay, so I wish I got to do all that. Actually, I just joined the new gym that opened right around the corner, and when I press the virtual tour button, the screen takes me on famous trails all over the world. It's kinda cool.



Now you have to understand, I hate the gym. I hate working out with other people around, I hate having to change my clothes in order to exercise, and I hate crowds. 

But I love my boys and my family, and I'm always trying to be super intentional about finding ways to hang out with them and stay connected with them. I had no intention of joining a gym, though I knew the stress of last year had gotten the better of me physically and I needed some accountability to get back on track with more healthy decisions. 

So when David started talking about joining a gym, it was a no-brainer to do it together as a family. He researched gyms close to us, and we found a new one that just opened up by the mall around the corner. I've already seen big benefits for me mentally (if I'm feeling overwhelmed, I can go tune out on the treadmill to recharge), not to mention the physical benefit that comes with being active, the dietary benefit (because it's harder to eat a bunch of junk after you just worked so hard to burn calories), and the bonding benefit of working out side by side with your sons. 

I'm looking forward to how this impromptu decision is going to help us become a healthier, more connected and bonded family in many ways. 

And I am excited to keep walking such famous trails all over the world. Any opportunity to see the world keeps my spirit motivated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment