About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Finally feeling like home

 


A week before David left to go back to Texas, Mike and Matt finally finished with the drywall in the master bedroom, and Mike worked hard to get it painted quickly so we could officially move in to our own bedroom. I was so excited to finally get our king size bed out of storage and sleep on my own mattress. :)


This is actually a doorway that will go right into our large master bath/closet, but they won't be done for quite a while yet. So Mike covered up the doorway and put in some cubbies for our clothes and a curtain. And I finally got to hang up my little coat/sweater rack on the wall that Mike had gotten me for my birthday last year shortly before we moved. 

I ordered new bedding right away and finally got to put it on my bed by the end of the week. 

The room is a little dark now with only one small lamp, but it sure does have a very calming feel to it. This room has made an incredible difference for me phsychologically, finally making me feel like I can start to settle and feel like I'm at home. I finally had a place that was not temporary and that was not going to change. It also meant that David could move out of the living room and sleep in the spare bedroom. I could also go in the living room in the early mornings to have my prayer time for the first time since October. 

David got to enjoy the spare bedroom for a week before he went back to Texas, and then we had ONE DAY to get the house cleaned up, wash and change bedding, get stuff out of storage, and set up that spare bedroom as the guest bedroom/office/craft room/play room that I've envisioned. And we finally hung a few pictures and decorations on the wall. 


This little office/writing area just makes my heart happy. It's close enough to the bed that one person can sit on one side and another person can sit on the stool to play a game together. There are games stored on the other side of the bed. On this side I have writing, journaling, and art/craft supplies stored in the cubbies. 


Once we have a master closet, we can use these cubbies for more games instead of clothes. 

We found a good place to hang up one of my favorite wall hangings that used to be out on my front porch. "Live in such a way that those who don't know God will want to know God because they know you." For now it's hanging above my temporary coffee bar. 



We put curtains up in the living room, giving it a real homey feel. 

And, of course, we found a spot to hang up our God Bless Texas sign. :)


Mike cleaned up the floors real good after they'd been covered with a lot of dust and dirt from all the mud outside. 



Sure feels good to have a real living room to relax in. 

The house still has a long way to go, but it's definitely coming along and feeling like home more every day now. Just in time for our first guests (that aren't blood related) who arrived the very next day.  




















No comments:

Post a Comment