About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Back to 2nd grade I go!

With the building under construction up until the very last minute, this has been the craziest start to a new school year. I finally got into my room at noon on Wednesday and actually had my room ready for my kids by Friday afternoon for our Porch Party. My teammates couldn't believe how quickly I got it all done and set up, but I had to point out that I'm a minimalist and keep things simple and efficient. I also had to point out that I didn't bring everything back from home yet--nor do I think I will.

 I cleared out a ton, but all of this still occupies his room. If I find I don't need it, I'm not taking it back to school. (Mostly books, organizers, and decorations). 

Here is the rest of my classroom, all ready for my sweet students to start their second grade year tomorrow morning.
 I was fortunate enough to "grab" that awesome cubby unit from a coworker that didn't see a need for it in her room. That will be a wonderful space saver for me without the expense. 

 I've since put a few more things up on the window blinds and organized all the shelves.
 My favorite part is the little reading center in the corner with a cute little flower lamp that I "won" as a white elephant gift two years ago.
My classroom theme is army, so I've got an army banner and a few army bears and accessories. But our Dual Language program has us color code everyting in red (for Spanish) and blue (for English), so I try not to add much of any other colors. Too much color is overstimulating, anyway, in my opinion.  

After five years in a Pre-K classroom overcrowded with way too many things, all this space just makes me feel so happy and free. 

 I've got a special place designated in the back for our class guinea pig(s), which I will be picking up tomorrow after spending the summer with a previous student. I've kinda missed those little critters and already packed some healthy snacks (veggies) for them!

Oh, and these pictures don't reflect a complete ceiling, which didn't get finished until about an hour or two before the kids showed up on Friday!

But as crazy and last minute as the construction left us this year, I must say that I had the best porch part ever in my teaching career. 21 out of 22 students came, half of them already brought all of their supplies, and the kids were so excited to see that they get another year with me (I had them three years ago in Pre-K). But not only the kids--the parents, too. They were just as excited, if not more. :) 

I absolutely love my new team, too, and we've done nothing but help and encourage each other over the last week. One is starting his second year at my school, but his 15th year in 2nd grade. One is in her second year of teaching and is moving from 5th to 2nd. The other one is brand new to our school and district, but she comes with experience teaching Pre-K, Kinder, 1st, and 2nd. And me--and though I've been away from 2nd grade for the last five years, I feel like I'm back "home" in my sweet spot.

I am truly looking forward to a great year ahead. I think I might even be able to sleep tonight, which I almost never do the night before school starts.


No comments:

Post a Comment