About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, October 30, 2016

To be part of a grander story

October 30, 2009 was one of the worst days of my life. I sat numbly through dinner with Mike and David, in absolute shock. Despite all the prayers and all of our love for two precious Colombian children, my agency called to tell me that the Colombian adoption committee refused to accept our appeal. They refused to let us come down to Colombia in person to plead our case, to show them we were indeed capable of adopting Juan David and his younger sister.

Eventually, over time, I had to come to terms with the fact that if I truly loved them, I had to accept that perhaps I was not the mother God had already chosen for them.

Just like the analogy of the butterfly, when you let something go, if it's meant to be your's, it will come back to you.

Juan David came back to me. His sister did not. I was the mother God chose for Juan, but He had other plans for his sister.

Fast-forward 7 years to today, October 30, 2016. I woke up this morning to an e-mail for Juan David in my inbox. The first e-mail sent directly from his sister, telling him where she lives, how much she loves him, asking about her older brother (who thought she didn't even remember him), and telling him how happy she is with a family who loves her dearly.

God had a different plan for her, another family who needed her to fill their hearts and complete their lives. It's a grander story than I could have imagined.

My heart is so full seeing them come back together after all this time. I look forward to watching them rebuild a relationship now that they are back in contact with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment