About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, September 10, 2016

My favorite sound

Can you hear it? Silence. I could soak it up all weekend. It soothes my soul.

I used to joke around with my second graders years ago that silence was my favorite sound. Now that I teach four-year-olds, it's no joke. By the time they leave, this introvert wants nothing more than to sit in a silent room all alone to recharge for awhile.

Don't get me wrong. I love my students' sweet little voices. Their conversations with each other either captivate me or entertain me, and their giggles are contagious. But here at the beginning of the year, I don't hear much of that yet. I unfortunately still hear a lot of crying (now 14 days in), a lot of tattles, and a lot of my own voice sternly saying, "Shhhhh! Stop running. Stop pushing. Sit correctly. Keep your hands to yourself. Pay attention. Watch where you're going. Eyes on me. Be nice. That's not how we talk at school. That's not how we treat our friends.Etc. etc."

I've relaxed a bit with the students who came in ready (usually the ones with older siblings), and thankfully, they've helped me to remember to smile. A simple smile can make a big difference in the entire classroom atmosphere.

Hopefully I can report back here in a few weeks with exciting news about how they're finally taking off and beginning to shine. I know they will--they always do. In the meantime, I guess I need to put a smiley face sticker on my hand as a reminder that a smile can brighten anyone's day, even my own. :)

As far as my home, I am soaking up an unexpectedly silent day due to David being at a birthday party, Mike out looking for truck parts, and Juan in bed sleeping after having to call in sick for work. I am still trying to get used to our new normal this year. Leaving 30 minutes earlier each morning in order to get David to school and get through the morning traffic to get myself to work on time. Juan working (and driving on his own)--meaning going to church at a different time than us when he works on Saturday nights. I crave a daily routine, and I'm not sure we've found one (or ever will).

Soccer is starting within the next week, meaning David will have his own schedule as a referee and then another one as a player. His coach could unfortunately not return this season. We got an e-mail at the last minute late Wednesday night saying if no one stepped in to coach the team, they'd have to fold the team and the boys would not be able to play. So, guess who stepped up to take over the team? Coach Dad to the rescue. And Coach Juan to help. It's gonna be an interesting season! Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment