About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, March 13, 2016

One rainy spring break

So, we bring yet another spring break to a close. I am learning more about myself every year. First, I am learning that I truly don't know how to rest. Seems I've always got some kind of agenda or to-do list calling my name, reminding me to make the best use of my time. Meanwhile, I had two boys that saw the rain and felt it only meant one thing--time to relax, watch TV, and play on their phones.

I guess we ended up compromising somehow because we accomplished several things, while we also hung out watching a whole lot of TV and movies.

David went on a weekend mission trip with church to help serve the community surrounding one of our church campuses in Austin, Texas.  Juan stayed home from the trip so he didn't miss his soccer game against one of their biggest rivals. He got a chance to play for varsity, too. :)  Both the JV and the varsity won their games, and the varsity team celebrated having secured their spot as district champs, so far. I'm glad he didn't miss it, plus I enjoyed watching the game in the beautiful weather.

Later in the week, while it rained incessantly from Monday through Friday, we got caught up on dental appointments, took our sick kitties to the vet and got them back on schedule with their shots, let out some energy at a trampoline park, opened up Juan's first bank account with his first referee check, and cleaned up our back porch to get it ready for spring. Oh, and Mike built us a really nice covered bike rack to store our bikes outside. Juan started his last online course to get himself caught up to the class he plans to graduate with next year, and he finished 75% of the first semester of the course already.

Finally today the sun came back out, so we headed to Six Flags to hang out as a family. I finally tried a ride that goes backwards (the only kind of ride I don't ride), and I survived without puking my guts out afterward. I screamed so loud, the boys said my screams were the highlight of the day.


We had a good week, but I will admit that I missed a daily routine. I don't mind it when we have a trip planned or something, but I don't do well sitting at home doing nothing on a rainy day. I always feel like precious time is just slipping away. At least I got a chance to work on a few writing projects.

Now I'm looking forward to pushing my students from here to the end of the school year. It always flies by super fast at this time in the year. Not sure I'm ready for David's 8th grade year to come to an end, though. My little boy almost ready for high school? No, it just can't be.

         




No comments:

Post a Comment