About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, December 25, 2015

Excerpts of Christmas poetry

I woke up this morning thinking about some poetry that I've written throughout our long adoption story. They will both be published soon within the book, Painful Waiting, so I am only sharing excerpts of each poem. May they touch your heart today as you think about the children who didn't get to celebrate Christmas with their family.

Christmas as an Orphan 
(Written to Julian in 2011)

Now that Christmas has arrived again,
The gifts have all been given,
We enjoy a quiet peace,
Reflecting on our Gift from heaven.

I enjoy a morning cup of coffee,
My husband reads beside the fire,
My son still slumbers in his bed,
The dogs have once again retired.

There is a warm and cozy feeling,
The kind only a family can bring.
Makes me wonder what it’s like for you
Spending Christmas in an orphanage.

Is there a warm and cozy feeling,
In your home of twenty-seven boys?
Do you feel loved and cherished,
Is your home filled with all new toys?

I can only imagine the longing
Tucked deep inside your heart,
Wishing you’d spent Christmas with our family

Rather than over a thousand miles apart?

An Orphan No More
(Written to Juan David in 2013)

Everything changed for all of us
I still can hardly believe it’s true.
For the first time in years,
I didn’t spend Christmas missing you.

We sat side by side in church,
Sang carols by candlelight.
So grateful I was to watch you
Open our gifts to you that night.

I find myself always watching now,
like I’m on the outside looking in.
Observing every little thing you do,
studying your every reaction.

What has meant the most to you
Your very first Christmas here?
What goes through your mind
When you no longer see an orphan in the mirror?

How did it feel to see your name
Written on those gifts beneath the tree,
Knowing you’re no longer one of the many,
Now you’re just part of our family?


No comments:

Post a Comment