About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Friday, May 10, 2013

I did it again!

Yes, it really is only the second week of May, but yes, I did it again.  I think maybe even earlier than I did last year.  Two weeks ago, my kids emptied out their entire desks and turned them around so they were unaccessible.  I kept all of their materials in bins around the room with their number on them.  They only got to keep a box with pencils and colors, plus their folders and library books--which had to stay in a neat pile in the corner of their desk at all times.  I hoped this would help the constant distraction of playing with all the junk in their desks that they kept sneaking in from home.  I also thought it might help me better monitor their organizational skills because they only had two things to keep organized--a small supply box and a folder. 

Ha.  That didn't go as planned.  Those little piles on the corners of their remained a sight for sore eyes day in and day out.  Plus they still somehow kept sneaking in junk from home.  Constant, non-stop distraction.  Ugh. 

So, I wrote a note home today saying that in order to have these children's entire focus while at school, I don't want them bringing backpacks, pencils, or anything to school anymore.  A folder and a library book.  I sent home all the pencil/supply boxes, all of their colored pencils, crayons, glues, etc. We will use a community pencil jar and a community art "center" in the room for any kind of art projects we might still do. 

The next two weeks are benchmark testing, then the desks are going "bye-bye", too.  Last year I put a piece of tape around the floor of the room with an assigned spot for each child on the tape, and without backpacks, supplies, and everything else, we ended up doing a ton of hands-on, physical learning.  We had fun, so I'm hoping we can end the year on the same note this year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment