About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, September 8, 2024

So much more than I asked for

Four weeks in to this new chapter. 

I haven't taken time to write or update because, well, the start of a new year can be overwhelming and exhausting. And being in a new school, new district, new grade, and new program meant a whole lot of learning new things. The one thing I'm thankful for is that I was already familiar with the curriculum I'm teaching (just on a different grade level). That has been my saving grace to give me time to learn everything else. I think I'm starting to get into a groove now and found some organizational tactics to keep things running as smoothly and efficiently as possible. For now, at least. Lol.

This weekend one of the Legado teachers invited all of us over to her house for an evening get-together. Our families were invited, as well, but Mike and David already had plans to go the races in Bloomington that evening, so I went alone. Within the first hour, almost all of the other bilingual teachers arrived, and we spent the evening nibbling on a variety of foods while talking and laughing over all of the different vocabulary and phrases in Spanish that each teacher brings from his/her native country. Teachers who are from  or lived in Spain, Mexico, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, or who grew up bilingual in the U.S. As I sat at the end of the table being my quiet self, just listening and taking it all in, I couldn't help but thank God for allowing me to be part of something so beautiful. And to think that I truly thought I'd walked away from bilingual teaching because it likely didn't exist here. I spent my whole summer reading a variety of authentic Spanish books, studying the history of Spain and all the Spanish-speaking countries, studying Scripture and praying in Spanish, and listening to podcasts from various countries all to reimmerse myself in the language to pass a test to be a licensed Spanish teacher (which I passed!). All God's prep for me for the new coworkers He was bringing into my life. 

The podcast I listened to for at least an hour a day. 

Our weekend get together as a bilingual staff


The newest teachers on staff, from Madrid, Spain, Mallorca, Spain, Mexico, and me

I followed God to a full-time ministry position where I thought I'd stay for many years. Such a strong, undeniable call drew me. But I knew pretty quickly that my new position didn't bring me the joy that working with bilingual families always brought me. Teaching Spanish and creating my own Intro to Spanish class fascinated me as I took the kids on virutal tours to all 21 Spanish-speaking countries, but I missed the daily interaction with kids and families from those countries and cultures. 

Then I noticed an event on Facebook for Fiesta Latina downtown, promoting the country dearest to my heart, Colombia. I knew I had to go. My sweet friend, Hannah, and I had a coffee date around noon and found out the coffee shop was closing at one. So I told her I was going to head downtown to check out the Fiesta Latina going on, and she went with me. I got to introduce her to my son's food, music, and culture, and we visited a little booth for the one and only Dual Language school in Columbus called Legado (knowing our church friend, Meg, worked there). I picked up a book about a little boy going to a new bilingual school, I got some bookmarks made by students, and I talked to some teachers and some parents from the school volunteering. I left my name and number and said I'd love to volunteer or translate for events. My heart lit up in a way I knew it didn't where I was working, and I couldn't ignore that. I put one of the bookmarks up on my prayer wall and started to pray every day about the draw to work there. Was I abandoning the call to work at New Song or could God be calling me back into bilingual education? 

Pics from last year's Fiesta Latina (notice all the yellow Colombian jerseys?)



Now a year later, Fiesta Latina is taking place again next week, featuring Colombia once again. And Hannah and I are both scheduled to work the Legado booth together, her now as a parent of a child at Legado and me as a teacher, promoting the Dual Language program and helping my students raise money for our 6th grade trip to Puerto Rico!

A few of my students working on flags and bracelets to sell to raise money for their class trip

Sometimes God asks us to follow and we think we see where He's leading, but we can't see what He sees or know what He knows. Even though my position at New Song didn't bring me the joy I thought it would, it was still part of the plan and preparation for where I am now. I took my Introduction to the Spanish-speaking countries of the world class that I created at New Song and themed my entire classroom around it at Legado. I jumped from working with second graders in Texas to 4th-6th graders at New Song, all preparing me for the 6th graders I'm teaching now at Legado.  As challenging as taking on this new grade and all that meant I had to learn has been, I still go home every day filled with joy. 

What I haven't had a chance to share yet is that my nearest and dearest friends from Colombia (who are like family) also just moved here to work as houseparents at New Song. They only plan to stay short term as they continue to seek God's direction for their lives here in the United States, but for the time being, they're here! And we go to church together every weekend, and we're celebrating Alvaro's birthday next weekend with all of the Columbus Alspaughs at New Song eating arroz con pollo. :) When I asked God to bring Spanish back into my life a year ago, He did (and is doing) more than I ever could have asked or imagined. He won't be put in a box, no matter how much we try to put Him in one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment