About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Birthday and Teacher Appreciation Week 2023

As much as my students spoiled me last year and truly treated me like a queen for both Teacher Appreciation Week and my birthday, I didn't think it could be topped. I currently only have a few students this year, who live on campus during the week, and I don't even have a badge to go enjoy any kind of Teacher Appreciation Deals around town, so I truly had already pushed any thoughts of "being celebrated" out of my mind. I love my job and my students, and this was just another part of it being a totally different kind of teaching experience.

But, oh, was I wrong. I felt celebrated this week in a much more personal and meaningful way than in all my nineteen years of teaching in public school. 

I walked in to my classroom on Monday morning to a pot of flowers and a gift bag full of classroom goodies, including my favorites--a journal and fancy colored pens. I found a very touching card and note of appreciation along with the gift bag from Bob and Lisa, the people who founded and are the directors of New Song Mission. My teammate, Julie, found the same surprise waiting for her on her desk, too. Just a few moments after I walked in, Lisa came downstairs to tell me in person how much she appreciated me and was thankful to God for bringing me to the team. My heart swelled with gratitude for the opportunity to work in such a unique place with such an amazing team.


But that wasn't it. The surprises kept coming all week. On Tuesday morning, the boys walked in to the classroom with sweet notes and treats for both me and my teammate that their houseparents had taken them to purchase for us (and prompted them to make for us). 

An adorable cup/glass mug, a gift card to Dunkin Donuts for coffee, and Hershey's Special Dark, the perfect treat to enjoy after lunch. 

My birthday came next, and I honestly felt very little excitement about my special day this year. My boys and my family are far away and unable to celebrate with me, and I'd already been out two nights in the week after a very full weekend that had me quite "peopled" out. I was tired and didn't want to do anything extra that evening besides go out to eat. 

The boys (my students) had already made comments about bringing me a birthday cake, so I knew they had something planned. I came in that morning to find pretty pink flowers, birthday decorations, and a birthday pin to wear for the day. After lunch, they all arranged the sweetest celebration upstairs in the kitchen to celebrate me on my birthday. It was precious and such a special time to all be together. One of the students asked if they could go around the table and each say what they were thankful for about me. Then all of the adults around the table took time to pray over me. We had cake, ice cream, and presents. One of the houseparents' children (going into first grade) said he wanted to say a poem for me, and he wanted that to be the last gift. So after I opened all the gifts, he spoke a poem over me. It was precious. He almost froze half way through, but then he recovered and finished. :)

My mom happened to send my gift with me when I came home from Texas at the end of April, so I got to start the day opening that gift from her (and sending her a video of me opening it). She called me later in the day as I was on my way to Chili's to have dinner with Mike. 

A nice box with a verse from my mom, along with ornaments on the Names of Jesus. 

Sitting on my desk to greet me on my birthday.

We just "happened" to arrange Furry Friends Day (for Spirit Thursdays) on my birthday, so Boots got to go to school with me for the day!


And my students brought their (stuffed) furry friends to class, as well. 

They really enjoyed having him at school!



A gift from one of the students, who said it was just right for his teacher from Texas, who happens to love pink!

I wore it the rest of the day. 

The sweet gifts they all gave me. A really soft, fuzzy blanket, a pink cup, two small coffee mugs, a collection of teas and honey sticks, handmade wash cloths, and really sweet cards and notes. 


And in keeping with tradition for the Alspaugh's, we had dinner at Chili's. Now that it's all the way across town, I don't get to eat there near as often as I used to when it was just around the corner. 



One of my closest friends sent me a card in the mail, David sent me a sweet message at 12:01 am,  and Juan posted a really nice message to me on Facebook. Plus many, many friends posted messages on my timeline on Facebook. I got a video message early in the morning from my new friend at church, who tonight gave me a really pretty journal with a priceless note written on the first page. It filled my heart and made me want to cry. 

All in all, despite not being able to see my boys, I had a really good birthday this year. 








No comments:

Post a Comment