About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Friends are essential

Life comes in stages. Some are fun, full of happiness. Others are rushed, leaving us feeling overwhelmed. Still others are hard or sad, full of anguish, despair, and pain. What makes the greatest difference in each stage are the friends who stand beside us. Friends make the good times sweeter, the rushed times more purposeful, and the hard times more bearable. And then there are the friends who become like family. They're the ones with a deep connection to your soul who will always be there to carry you, no matter how much time has passed since you last communicated. 

When I moved away from Texas, I still kept in touch with my closest friends, either by sending cards, writing letters, texting, or just keeping up on social media. (Honestly, I'm not much into calling people, though I occasionally will give in to a phone call. Talking on the phone is just a very awkward way to communicate for me. That's another subject, though, for another post.) I'm glad I stayed in touch with them and still nurtured those friendships, because those are the people that showed up for me when I had to fly back to Texas in an emergency and stay for an indefinite amount of time. I cherish the time I got to spend with those friends and feel like our friendship deepened. 

Spending those three weeks in Texas made me realize how essential my friends are and made me want to invest myself into finding a new set of friends here in Indiana as quickly as I can, though I realize that authentic friendships take time. Life just lacks so much meaning, joy, and support without close friends. There's something about knowing someone deeply and being fully known by your friends that feels so settling. My new coworkers have become my new close friends that I feel will become like family over time, but it sure is hard not being known and feeling like you have to prove who you are. 

I'm an introvert, so my social battery only goes so far, but I'm determined to get involved with other women at my church as much as I can so I can start to feel like a part of a community of friends. I'm finding that you just have to show up and put yourself out there, and those relationships begin to find you. I attended the ladies' night out and met a few people there, then I went to the Bible study during October and started to connect with a few people there. We showed up as a couple for a community group Friendsgiving dinner and then a Christmas caroling/cookie fellowship. And last night I went to the ladies' night out dinner, despite it being cold and already dark before I even left the house. The connections I'm making are worth the extra effort to me. I'm looking forward to seeing how God guides in several of the people I've been connecting with. It's also nice to go to church and be recognized by more and more people. 

Just like with our house remodel--there's a lot of potential and a grand vision. But you gotta start somewhere and inconvenience yourself first. You have to make the sacrifice and the investment to get a good return. The house will eventually come to completion and feel like home, and the connections I'm making will turn into friendships that will make life that much sweeter. It just takes time. 

So today, I'm holding my friends close, cherishing special memories with them, and just showing up whenever I have the opportunity to make a new friend. 

My newest connections, the ladies' night that I went to just last night

My dear friend from ReEngage who lived an hour away from me, but met me for lunch just before I moved and came out to see me when I ended up back in Texas.

My Bible study friend, amazing prayer warrior, and bike-riding buddy who used to live just down the road from me.

Been doing writer's group together for a decade. Getting ready to start reading her latest book, Teatime with Jesus. It'll be like having her join us for tea every morning. 

My amazing writing mentor, who I'm privileged to call my friend.

A now-retired coworker who prayed and encouraged me through Juan's adoption process, who I now introduced to my writer's group as she grows into an incredibly inspiring writer.

A sweet Bible study and Life Group friend

My soulmates

My newest friends/coworkers

First ladies' night out I tried at my new church

A friend I truly only saw once every few months or so, but oh, when I did--she spoke to my soul and always knew exactly what I needed to hear.

My "bestie" who truly became one of my nearest and dearest friends over the years that our "kids" dated each other

There are no words to describe this friend, other than that she's the friend who always showed up. Always. 

When. you travel to Mexico together several times, live by each other, babysit each other's kids or animals, and do life together in Life Group and small group, you just become family. And family is family forever. 

Coworkers who encourage you and tell you you're beautiful every single day. She truly is my beautiful friend.

There's many more who I couldn't find pictures of. I'm trying to be much more intentional about taking pictures these days. 

Friends truly do add flavor and joy to life, no matter what season of life you're in. But you've got to put yourself out there, show up, and be vulnerable to find them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment