About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, September 4, 2022

The gift of time

 If I've calculated right, I've been here for eight weeks now. Just shy of two full months. Eight weeks isn't long at all, but at times it feels much longer, and at other times it's just enough to bring on all the nostalgia for the life you're just now realizing you left behind. 

We're in that awkward stage of not being brand new, but not being settled either. We've met the people who scope out the newbies to introduce themselves at church to make you feel welcome, but we haven't been there long enough to plug in to a group or start finding our people. Hopefully we'll decide on a group to join in soon. 

I love my coworkers and the people I'm in ministry with here at New Song, and I would consider them my friends now, but they all have their own friend groups that they meet up with in the evenings and on weekends, and I haven't been here long enough to find my own friend groups. I did reach out to the women's ministry lead at church to find out how I can get involved in and serve with the women's Bible studies. That's usually where I can find my people, so I am looking forward to the next women's event and study coming up this fall in just a few weeks. 

As much as I desire to start connecting with more people here, I will admit that I am so, so thankful for the gift of time that God has given to us here, especially as a couple. Mike and I have had more leisure time together in the last eight weeks than we've had in years. Life is starting to take on a new rhythm, and it's a much healthier rhythm than we've had in a long time. The start of school has not worn me out like it has the last nineteen years (thought I'm sure that the first few weeks after the kids come onto campus will definitely stretch me mentally and physically). I don't feel pulled in a thousand directions, and my new work family is an absolute delight to be with every day. And there are no words to describe the peace and serenity in this environment, especially during this pause as we wait on God to bring new houseparents and we work on a reset of the whole academic program here before the kids arrive. 








Mike now works the same hours every day, with an occasional hour earlier start on some days depending on where the job site is. He comes home the same time almost every night. And he's off both days on the weekend. He doesn't have to work weird shifts and wait for a schedule to be posted. He doesn't have to deal with people calling in sick and trying to find replacements for them or do their job on top of his own. He doesn't have to work himself to death to keep building commission. He comes home physically tired from doing physical work all day, but he's not stressed, frustrated, or beaten down like he's been for the last several years. And since neither one of us have found our "people" yet, we spend all of our evenings and weekends together. Every once in a awhile, we have a chance to hang out at with his brother and Chrissy or with Chrissy's family. 


It's a gift of time that I thank God for every day. 

I remember one of the things I liked so much about our relationship when we were dating was the fact that we both had a sense of adventure and enjoyed being on mission together. This move has been an adventure from the start, and every day we see God in it completely. He has provided for our every need, including a place to store our stuff at no charge and get things out as needed whenever we want, an extra five weeks with David so he could work with his uncle and become part of our life here,  jobs that we both love, opportunities to serve New Song outside of my job responsibility, a conversation with a coworker that led us to our new church started by someone from Texas, making it feel so much like home to us, a camper to stay in until the AC broke, and a place to stay in the main house on campus right above my classroom while we waited for our house to close. It sure is a long walk down the stairs to go to work each day! 

How our new church started. Notice the mention of Rockwall, TX? 




Mike fixed some equipment here at New Song that wasn't running. And then he joined in when a work team came and cleared out a bunch of land with the equipment he just fixed. 


And even though everyone expected to start school in August, they had one student's mom agree to me teaching her son virtually while he worked through their normal curriculum online, which has been a HUGE blessing to me, to him, to his mom, and to New Song. 

Now at the end of this week, Mike and I will embark on our next adventure in the mix when we close on a house that is about to undergo a huge transformation over the next few weeks and months. Which means leaving the peace and tranquility of this beautiful place to stay in the camper again, but this time on our own land and space that we hope will one day give off the same vibes of peace and tranquility.  I will admit that I dread the work ahead and at times really wish I had at least one pretty picture to share about my "new" house, but seeing it as our next adventure really does help ease the anxiety of more unknowns ahead. 

So, for today, while we don't yet have a house project in front of us, we took the day to go for a Sunday drive and explore. 


Just one of the famous look-out spots.





A quiet picnic area




A nature preserve we've passed many times and wondered about



This move really has put a new song in our mouths. 
A new sense of purpose and adventure every single day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment