About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, August 28, 2021

Sophomore year at DBU

In keeping with tradition, I guess, David and his dad worked non-stop all summer on a big project on his truck, one that took them down to the wire to finish before he had to move back onto campus. When I say down to the wire, I mean, they finished at 1:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, and we left for DBU at 2:00 that afternoon. He and Juan drove his truck with a few big items in the back, while I followed behind with my car packed full of all his clothes and any items that might fly around. 


(They were so proud of their work, they had to take sunset pictures of their completed project.)

At DBU, the dorms are mainly for freshman, and then they have this little town down the hill filled with apartments and townhomes on campus for all of the upperclassmen. Juan spent his last semester on campus in an apartment that he shared with four other guys. David is starting out his sophomore year in a  cute little townhome that he shares with six other guys. I didn't take any pics inside since all the other guys have lived there for awhile, and David was the only one who waited till the last minute to move in--despite paying rent on it all summer. (Which is okay with me--I'll keep him around as long as I can.) But they have a small kitchen downstairs where he can keep his groceries and make his own meals (I see lots of eggs and quesadillas in his future). They have a decent sized living room, and then three bedrooms. David's bedroom is upstairs with a roommate. He was a little nervous about living with six guys, but now that he's been there a week, he said they all get along really well and he already feels pretty comfortable around them. 








He's already had a week of classes, and he said he feels really good about all of them. (Juan David is taking online classes this semester, and we found out they are both taking the same class, though with different teachers. How funny is that?)

He already jumped back into attending a young adult/college age weekly event called the Porch at Watermark Church that he went to as often as he could last year. (A lot of DBU kids attend, and this week he went with his new housemates, so that's cool.) Plus he's working at an Autozone close by the campus, after working at the one right by our house all summer. 

Looks like he's all set up for a good year ahead. Hoping COVID numbers stay down so he can experience somewhat of a normal college life this year. 

Believe it or not, he already came home for the weekend, showing up yesterday afternoon. Apparently he and Mike still had some stuff to do to finish up the truck. So we had dinner out together last night and we will go to church together tonight before he heads back tomorrow. 

Love that kid. 


No comments:

Post a Comment