About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Look for the blessings

So, I'm switching from the senior-mom-hat back to the teacher-hat and writing from the teacher heart today.

That wasn't my intention when I sat down to write a poem, but as the words came tumbling out, that's the direction they led. I fell in love with poetry and specifically with rhyme back when I was about ten years old, and I've never tired of it since. When my world gets quiet and thoughts stir in my head about something, those thoughts don't tend to fall together until they spill out in rhyme.

I can't stop thinking about just how full February felt and how it utterly exhausted me by the end of the month. I tried to add some extra personal things to my schedule, forgetting what a bear the month can be at school, but it all truly wiped me out. I couldn't wait for a week off to just relax and reconnect with my family before getting back in the race to finish the school year strong.

Gettiing through all those parent conferences was incredibly taxing, but I'm so glad for that recent strong connection with parents because I had no idea how much I'd need them to stand behind me and trust me for the rest of the school year.

I'm so glad I went on that writer's retreat, as stressful as it was to fit in, because it reminded me how much I miss when I don't take the time to write. It drew my heart back in to the one thing I enjoy more than anything, the one gift I have to give others when the world grows quiet and I grow quieter still.

I'm so glad I spent time with my mom that last weekend in February, then a day with my parents for lunch, coffee, and shopping, and then once more for tea with my mom during spring break because I had no idea it would be the last time we could physically get together for quite awhile.

I'm so glad I scratched my plans that last Friday and gave my kids a chance to shop in our class store so they walked away with a happy memory of what might have been their last day in my class. I'm so glad I sent home their Reading book we just finished, and all their old pencils, promising new ones upon return. I'm so glad I found a birthday card on the back of a Little Debbie treat box and gave it to my student whose birthday was the day AFTER spring break, a day I assumed I would see him, just to make him feel special. Little promptings I'm so glad I followed through on.

More than anything, I'm so glad I've been teaching my students since they were four years old that they are in charge of their own learning, and that learning happens everywhere, all the time, and it feels good every time we learn something new. I'm so glad I encouraged them to be creative rather than following a rigid rule of how their work needed to look.

I miss them, but I'm so encouraged by what they've shown me so far. Of course, I have students I need to call and beg for work--just like at school. But for the most part, that's not the case. On the contrary, these kids have an incredible opportunity to learn differently, at their own pace. How much they want to learn is completely up to them.  I'm not convinced that's a bad thing right now.

Behind the Current Crisis

February felt so full
My calendar was packed
Activity filled each day
Margin severely lacked.

First one weekend filled up
Then a second one claimed time, too.
When the last weekend plan came,
I reluctantly pushed through.

Extra meetings filled the weekdays
With parent conferences and SST’s,
Added student challenges, 
And testing that wouldn’t cease. 

Spring break Friday finally came
That first weekend in March.
My body thirsted for rest
As so much frenzy left me parched. 

Class had to be fun again
My kids needed a reward
All the endless testing
Had left them tired and bored.

We set up a class store
And spread all the goodies out
They spent all their plastic coins
And learned what money’s all about. 

I sent home extra books
Old pencils and supplies
The expectation to keep learning
Came to them as no surprise. 

My job as their teacher
Is to equip and to inspire
So they can guide themselves
To always learn and never tire.

To engage with a new book
And get lost in it for hours
Whether it be about real life
Or a kid with superpowers.

To practice making problems
And add big numbers up
To practice math in the kitchen
and use a measuring cup.

To find new things to learn
To problem solve all day
To create something new and fun
And make connections while they play.

That Friday when we said goodbye
With their backpacks extra full
We never could have imagined
We might not come back to school. 

Now I’m left to guide them
Through a video and a screen.
They’re the ones in charge now
As we do school in quarantine.

They’ve stepped up to the challenge
Sending pics of their notebooks, 
Videos explaining their learning
Cute photos of their reading nooks.

Their creativity blossoms
Pride in their presentation has improved
The work is suddenly organized
And their sweet comments leave me moved.

Though I set out to inspire
They now daily inspire me
With the joy they find in learning
And their boundless creativity. 

My body now feels rested
As all the rush has ceased.
I grade papers from my phone
My digital knowledge has increased.

I get snuggles from my kitty now
In place of my students’ daily hugs.
I drink my morning coffee
From my huge supply of teacher mugs.

I am still their teacher
But truly they are teaching me.
That learning looks so different
When mixed with creativity.

They’re working at their own pace
In their chosen cozy spot.
They choose different modes of presentation
Than perhaps the one I sought.

They’re directing their own learning
And finding ways to organize
Perhaps behind this current crisis
Lies a blessing in disguise.



No comments:

Post a Comment