About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Poetry for Orphan Sunday


Have you heard?

Have you heard the voice of the orphan?
Do you know the sound of his cries?
Do you know what life has done to him
As he wonders where his future lies?

Have you felt his broken heart
When his mother never came back around?
Have you wiped away his tears
When his dreams crashed to the ground?

Were you there when they told him
the days would only be few
Before they took away his flesh and blood,
Taking his sister out of view?

Do you see his empty eyes
As he longs to hear her voice again?
Can you fill the gaping hole
 where her presence had always been?

Do you wonder how he does it,
Waiting to see what each day will bring?
Sometimes an opportunity to grasp,
Sometimes another painful sting.

Do you imagine what he goes through,
As he steps into life alone?
Can you suppress his fears
As he faces each unknown?

Have you held him in your arms,
As the tears stream down his cheek,
Knowing you are leaving him
With a future that still looks bleak?

Have you watched him pray at night,
As he lets the tears just flow,
Begging God to bring his mama back,
Yet knowing it would never be so?

Have you heard her stall your conversation,
Cherishing every word you said,
Not wanting you to say goodbye,
Before she had to go to bed?

Have you heard the cry of the orphan
And wonder what you can do?
Have you ever wondered if
That orphan had been you?


Love Me as I am

An orphan is what they call me
An unlucky child, some may say.
I grew up without a family,
Now I'm just trying to find my way.

You may be tempted to judge me,
You may think I'm immature for my age,
I think I've done pretty well
For being raised in an orphanage.

Of course you'll find gaps in my life.
There's so much I never learned,
Things I never had a chance to practice,
Or times I never got my turn.

Still I am who I am today
because of my unique experiences in life,
I faced more loss than most ever do,
 I conquered incredible internal strife.

Please don't try to change me.
I'm not a project for you to fix.
Please love me as I am
Without trying to alter the mix.

I have so much to add to the world,
I could love to the moon and beyond,
But til’ I know you truly love me,
My heart won’t ever respond.

(Both poems are excerpts from Painful Waiting, my sequel to Unexpected Tears--to be published sometime soon by Authenticity Book House)

No comments:

Post a Comment