About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

You're treating me like a child!

That's right, sweetheart.  Enjoy it.  It's a childhood you didn't get to experience fully, and you'll never get it back. 

Sometimes I get frustrated when I see the gaps, the lack of responsibility or even a sense of responsibility that I see in you, my 16 year old child.  The arrogance can eat away at me, especially when that arrogance only shows the absolute naivety of the culture you're now in. 

Sometimes I want to cringe when you complain that I'm treating you like a child, not giving you privileges or responsibilities that you either have not earned yet or are just not ready for yet. 

As annoyed as I got the other day when you couldn't stop making silly sound effects on our bike ride, I was reminded that you are still a child at heart.  Yes, you may have had a bike at one time in the past, but you obviously missed out on certain experiences on that bike in your childhood because I see you enjoying those silly moments now.  Making sound effects.  Finding ways to make it sound like a motorcycle.  Pretending there are sports announcers talking about how fast you ride.  Experimenting with different moves. Things I remember watching David experience as a very young child. 

I caught myself saying, "You act like a child who's never been on a bike before!" Then it hit me.  That's exactly what you act like.  And it's okay.  I tried to explain to your younger brother that you're living out things you missed in your childhood. Enjoy them while you still can.  They're essential to your character and to the person you are supposed to become.  Don't rush into an adulthood you're not ready for when you still have an opportunity to tap into that child within you. 

In fact, it wasn't just you that missed that childhood.  We missed it, too.  Creating a few more childhood memories even at the age of 16 can only benefit us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment