About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Life's an Adventure!

Life definitely is quite the adventure in our home and family right now, but we are enjoying it. :)  This week, other than the two days I was really sick and the morning that it rained so hard that our power went out (may I add, only our side of the street and only for the two hours between the time I wake up and the time I leave for the day), we had a lot of fun and felt very blessed.

Wednesday brought along night #1 of my ladies' Bible study.  There are about 15 women in the class, and I am thrilled at how open the group is and how willing everyone is to share from their heart.  There are many times when you'll get a group of super quiet people that won't talk at all, so I love it when you get those groups that just open up right from the beginning.  We are doing Jennifer Rothschild's study called Missing Pieces, and it's all about surrendering that big WHY to God and trusting Him to fill in the missing piece with Himself.

Photo

The rest of our week was filled with soccer practices and more Meet the Teacher nights at school.  By Saturday, both boys finally got to start their season.  Both had new uniforms to wear, new shoes to break in, and new soccer balls to take with them.  David's was an FC Dallas ball and Juan David's was a NIKE ball that his host family sent to him as a gift this week (the family who hosted him and his sister five years ago through KidSave).  Both their teams walked away with a win, and both boys walked away feeling proud of the goal that they each made for their team. Right before the game, we were showing Juan David the photo books from all of David's soccer seasons and all of his trophies that he's collected.  Juan David said that he is going to work so hard and do all he can to help his team win first place for his age group so he, too, can start decorating his room with trophies. :)  He also told me I need to start making photo books again for each season.  Here's the first picture for this season's photo book.

Photo: Both boys' teams won, both boys scored a goal for their teams. Great start to a new soccer season!

Today we wrapped up our weekend by completing our first post placement visit with our social worker.  All went well and we're sure her report will be very positive about Juan David's adjustment into our family. Getting that scheduled was a bit nerve-wracking during such a busy month (with so many school functions, church functions, and soccer starting up),  so we're glad to have it checked off the list of things to do.

School is going well for all of us.  David is adjusting to middle school and making new friends in his classes and in choir (his favorite class).  This week he gets to go on a field trip with choir on Friday night to sing at a Ranger's game.  He's really excited about that.  Juan David is still loving his classes and his school.  He's very responsible about getting out the door on time every morning.  I've come to the conclusion that I just love teaching PreK.  Those kids keep me smiling and laughing all day long, and I go home feeling good each day. I know they do, too. :)  I see stress written all over so many other teacher's faces, and they say that I just look completely relaxed.  I work my kids hard and have high expectations of them, but I think I might have the most light-hearted job of all.  I truly love it and consider myself blessed.  

Mike finally finished building a truck that he's been working on for about two years, plus he's been doing a lot of work out back, so he's definitely in his element, too. We feel like life is falling into place.  God is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment