About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Feels like home

The best part of coming to Colombia (besides adopting Juan David) is being able to reconnect with great friends that we've made over the last two years.  It makes it feel like home.

Yesterday we took the boys to El Camino Academy (where we volunteered to teach/help out with summer schoo last year).  We wanted to see everyone again, David specifically wanted to see the P.E. teacher, and we wanted to show Juan David where we spent all of our time last summer (and might possibly do again in future summers when we come to visit his brother).  It was so good to see everyone again and catch up with each other.  We stayed for a few hours while the boys played soccer together outside on the field.

Around noon, we went to one of our closest friend's houses with some of the other summer school teachers (from the U.S.) because she was going to show us how prepare and serve a famous Colombian dish called Bandeja Paisa.  I got a crash course on making the beans, the plantains, the sausage etc,.--even the juice!  There were four of us squeezed into a tiny kitchen with food cooking on every burner, in the oven, on a skillet, or just sitting on the counter.  We had a great time, and then we all sat down to quite the delicious Colombian meal.


Photo: Learned how to make and serve Bandeja Paisa today. Mmmmmm, sure was a great meal! Thank you, Zayde. You are a treasure.

Tomorrow that same friend invited us to her church for Father's Day (we went to that church once last year, but with Julian).  Then our dear, dear friend Mercedes invited us over for lunch tomorrow afternoon (she has known Juan David and Julian since they were very little, and Julian lives at her house.)  Both of these friends are an absolute treasure to us, and we don't take a minute with them for granite.

Our boys are doing well together.  Both are improving in their language skills, learning and practicing the other one's language.  All they need is a soccer ball (when outside) or a nerf gun (while inside) to keep them happy.

Next week we plan to go ride the infamous go-karts that we go to every year and head back up to the top of the mountain sometime (Montserrate) for a new family picture.  We'll see what else comes about next week before Mike will return to the States.

Today we caught up on laundry (I'm so thankful for having a dryer this year), went grocery shopping, ate pizza, and watched a movie we found on TV.  Tonight, thanks to Lake Pointe's Internet campus, we get to go to our own church. :)

Photo
Hanging out at our old apartments from last year

Photo: I'd say they bonded. Amazing the power that a soccer ball can hold.
Playing on the soccer field at El Camino Academy

Photo
Just climbing around right outside our friend, Jenn's, office

No comments:

Post a Comment