About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Another step forward

In one sense it's just a piece of paper, but it speaks a thousand words to me. It takes me back to that simple conversation with a friend at a park several years ago when she asked me if there's anything else I wanted to do with my life if I could. Out of nowhere came the words, "I'd like to be a counselor. Specifically a Biblical counselor."

God was listening. 

Then just shy of two years ago, I stood in the cafeteria with my young teammate at Bullock Elementary and said the same thing. "I'd like to go back to school to study Biblical counseling."

God was listening.

And again, about a year ago, I saw down with the counselor on staff at Terrace Lake Church to talk through what kind of options I could look at to begin my journey to become a certified Biblical counselor. After talking through it all and looking at several options available, I decided to follow the same route that she took, as well as all of the lay counselors at our church. Shortly after that, I hopped on a plane back to Dallas, Texas to attend the annual conference with the Association of Biblical Counselors and began my journey to certification. 

Today, I joined that group of certified lay counselors at my church for our monthly meeting that consisted of more training, behind the scenes planning for the church, and mutual prayer, support, and encouragement. 

So thankful for all that I have learned (especially about myself) and also how I have grown through these studies for the pictured certificate. So thankful to be in a place with continual training and support. So curious to see how God will (continue) to use me in this area. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment